Daft question about CATs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
djy76

Daft question about CATs

Post by djy76 »

Hi,

I am hoping a wise elevenplusexams poster can help me out..

My friend has approached a tutor about working with her ds for 11plus in 2013 and she has been asked by the tutor for CAT scores? I know about SATs but I thought CATs were done in Yr7 as my dd has been through them at ColCHS?

All info gratefully received.

djy76
aargh

Re: Daft question about CATs

Post by aargh »

CATS are also done in Year 5.
They are mostly NVR with some maths sequencing and algebra as well as the abstract shapes reasoning - which is the odd one out what would come next etc. They are meant to give some indication of cognitive reasoning ability.

The tutor probably wants to know where your friend's DS is starting from. A decent Tutor will be honest and say whether it is worthwhile to tutor or whether DS is not likely to benefit (i.e. unlikely to pass so don't waste the money!). My DDs tutor did not ask for her results, she conducted her own assessment in a free session.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Hi Aargh,

Thanks for answering it is appreciated.

DS is in yr4 so I guess he won't have done them yet.. This tutor also does her own assessment, though charges, I suppose the tutor may use it as supporting information to her own view.

It has sparked my interest, I am not sure if my DS school does it I shall ask.

Thanks again
djy
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

To be very specific, there are 3 tests, done either on paper or on screen, depending on the school's choice. They are Verbal Reasoning, Non-Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning (maths). The average score is 100 and the top score 141.

Not all primary schools do them because of cost.
djy76

Post by djy76 »

Thank you Sally-Anne, CATs therefore would stand for Cognitive Ability Tests I am assuming.

And if cost is an issue I won't see my son's school use them..

I have learnt so much from being part of this forum despite having a DD at grammar which meant I thought I knew it all !!!

djy
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

djy76 wrote:Thank you Sally-Anne, CATs therefore would stand for Cognitive Ability Tests I am assuming.
You are entirely correct.
And if cost is an issue I won't see my son's school use them.
They aren't wildly expensive, but hard-up schools would certainly consider them to be an optional extra.
I have learnt so much from being part of this forum despite having a DD at grammar which meant I thought I knew it all !!!
Good - we are happy to be of help. :D
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Hi everyone, I have just recieved my sons cats results for the end of year 5 which seem ok, but was wondering if anyone is aware of what score is a very rough indicator as to whether or not your child is of Grammar school standard. x
rhubarbcrumble

Post by rhubarbcrumble »

Hi everyone

Haven't been on for ages...managed to wean myself off lol! However, now 1st March is rapidly approaching I'm being enticed once more!

Anyway...about CAT's. My daughter has done these 3 times (she goes to an indie school) and her last ones were only a few months ago and the mean came out to be 123. I believe the CAT's are more an indicator of raw ability as opposed to what they have actually learnt and thus are probably a good indicator of IQ. The average I was told is 100 and they say that 120 plus to go for a gs and 125 is a pretty much sure thing for a g. school, although of course that wouldn't always be the case.

I actually think that they are a pretty good indicator of a child's ability - my daughter's has pretty much stayed the same (three results over a few years: 121, 122, 123).

The children in my girl's class that DIDN'T sit the 11+ all had scores way lower and, knowing these children like I do, they wouldn't have stood a chance at all in the 11+ (and it would have been cruel to put them through it), so yes, I think the CAT's is a good indicator tbh. Of course, not everyone will agree, but there, hope that helps someone.

Roll on March 1st....p.l.e.a.s.e.... :D
anxiousanna

Post by anxiousanna »

Thanks Rhubarb, that has really helped, feel more positive. phew
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now