science tutor

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
geling

science tutor

Post by geling »

Hi, it is geling again! My DD is Year 10 in a grammar school. I want to help him to get A at his all Science subjects (Chemistry, biology and Physics). So, in this case, do I need one tutor to cover all 3 subjects or one tuor each subject?
I am quite confusing. Any advice preferred!! :D
Amber

Re: science tutor

Post by Amber »

Are you sure s/he actually needs a tutor for this? If s/he is at a GS and doing standard GCSE exams the chances are pretty high that s/he will get good grades anyway. Unless you have some strong evidence s/he is struggling why don't you leave it to the school?

But if you do want a tutor, if s/he is doing 3 separate sciences you might choose to have more than one, though many science teachers will teach all three sciences to GCSE and I imagine many who offer science tutoring would be able to offer all 3.
geling

Post by geling »

Thanks, Amber.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

For one reason or another my DD missed some of the early bits of all 3 science GCSEs. She managed to self teach herself most of the stuff she had missed along with some help from the science teachers at school (and I wouldn't say she is a natural born scientist). She found the revision guides extremely useful, as well as BBC bitesize for the basics. She is now hoping to get As and A*s in all 3, which I wouldn't have thought a couple of years ago. What I am trying to say is that I agree with Amber that it should be possible with a bit of extra effort - presumably the school wouldn't have put him in for triple science if they didn't think he was reasonably capable.
scary mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now