Bucks Appeal - Advice regarding evidence

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kitty12

Bucks Appeal - Advice regarding evidence

Post by kitty12 »

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding the evidence we want to submit for our daughters Bucks appeal...

Our background info is…

Daughter scored 117 & 119 in Bucks VR test
Received 1:1 recommendation from head teacher
Reading age 13 years 8 months
Scored 123 in mock VR CATS

All of the above was included in the headteacher report as evidence, and the school are supporting her very strongly. Other evidence we have included are letters of support from her teachers and SATS results from KS1 as she got level 3’s in maths English & Science. All of this has already been sent off with our appeal pack, do you think this is enough?

The school have now just given us optional SATS results that were taken Nov/Dec 2011 and my daughters results came back as 5c for reading & writing and 4b for Maths - Is this good enough to send off as evidence as maths score isnt as good as English?

We have also found last years year 5 report which gives results of 4a in English & 4c in maths as of July of last year.

Based on all of the above do you think we should send the year 5 report and the up to date academic progress report as additional proof of the level she is working on or is the Headteachers report with confident predictions of level 5’s is enough on it’s own? Is it expected that at least one school report should be included when you go for appeal? I don't want to put us at a disadvantage and not include any reports if the ones we have are what you would you would consider a good evidence (taking her grades into consideration) Am I going to be missing out on proof to strengthen our case if I dont send them?

Do the appeal panel expect to see level 5’s for both English & Maths?

I basically don't want to submit anything that is going to take away from the very good headteachers report & respectable exam result she has received - What would your advice be?

Many thanks for reading my rather long post!!
Etienne

Re: Bucks Appeal - Advice regarding evidence

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Daughter scored 117 & 119 in Bucks VR test
Respectable scores!
Received 1:1 recommendation from head teacher
Depends how many '1' recommendations the head gave, and how many of these qualified.
Reading age 13 years 8 months
Good.
Scored 123 in mock VR CATS
Borderline.
All of the above was included in the headteacher report as evidence, and the school are supporting her very strongly. Other evidence we have included are letters of support from her teachers and SATS results from KS1 as she got level 3’s in maths English & Science. All of this has already been sent off with our appeal pack, do you think this is enough?
Impossible to say!
The school have now just given us optional SATS results that were taken Nov/Dec 2011 and my daughters results came back as 5c for reading & writing and 4b for Maths - Is this good enough to send off as evidence as maths score isnt as good as English?
On the basis of progressing at the rate of two sub-levels per year, then the 4b in maths suggests a 4a at KS2.
We have also found last years year 5 report which gives results of 4a in English & 4c in maths as of July of last year.
This too suggests a 4a in maths at KS2.
Based on all of the above do you think we should send the year 5 report and the up to date academic progress report as additional proof of the level she is working on or is the Headteachers report with confident predictions of level 5’s is enough on it’s own?
The most recent report is not going to help you!

As for the year 5 report, it depends whether it includes other things (indicating high academic ability) that would outweigh any disadvantage arising from the maths level.
Is it expected that at least one school report should be included when you go for appeal?
Many panel members would probably quite like to see a year 5 report, but it's certainly not a requirement, and you shouldn't produce it if it's going to weaken your case.
Do the appeal panel expect to see level 5’s for both English & Maths?
They would normally expect level 5 predictions - or a good explanation why not.
Etienne
kitty12

Post by kitty12 »

Thanks very much for your response. :)
kitty12

SATS Level's in year 5 & 6 - Bucks Appeal

Post by kitty12 »

Hi,

The school have predicted L5's in Maths & English for my daughter in her Headteacher report. Her year 5 school report states a level 4c for English, would this be accepted as reasonable by the panel as it was based on her level at July last year?

Would her level 5 predictions be weakened by this report? Would the panel challenge a year 5 level of 4c against a headteachers prediction of 5c? The report is a very good one, with lots of positive comments so need to send off very shortly if we are going to include it.

Many thanks for your help, just want to get this cleared up asap :)

Also meant to ask if submitting the school report as evidence close to the date of the hearing will mean they automatically adjourn our appeal? I know they say 10 days before, but is there any flexibility as it's just the report we plan on sending? Otherwise would it be a huge problem if we took it on the day?

Thanks again...
Etienne

Re: SATS Level's in year 5 & 6 - Bucks Appeal

Post by Etienne »

Would her level 5 predictions be weakened by this report? Would the panel challenge a year 5 level of 4c against a headteachers prediction of 5c?
The panel or the LA rep. might query it. Does the headteacher's summary sheet comment on remarkable progress/increasing maturity?

Whether or not this is significant probably depends on how the panel view the evidence as a whole.
Also meant to ask if submitting the school report as evidence close to the date of the hearing will mean they automatically adjourn our appeal? I know they say 10 days before, but is there any flexibility as it's just the report we plan on sending? Otherwise would it be a huge problem if we took it on the day?
It would probably be all right if you took 5 copies to the hearing, as reports can usually be 'digested' fairly quickly.
Etienne
kitty12

Post by kitty12 »

Hi, Thanks once again for your swift response!
kitty12 wrote:It would probably be all right if you took 5 copies to the hearing, as reports can usually be 'digested' fairly quickly

So you would recommend taking the report on the day rather than sending in the post too close to the appeal date? Is this is the safer option? I just dont want them to turn around on the day and say they cannot accept it as evidence :?

Etienne wrote:The panel or the LA rep. might query it. Does the headteacher's summary sheet comment on remarkable progress/increasing maturity?

Whether or not this is significant probably depends on how the panel view the evidence as a whole.

I have emailed you a private message regarding more of the specifics of our case, hope this further info helps..

Many thanks
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

So you would recommend taking the report on the day rather than sending in the post too close to the appeal date? Is this is the safer option?
If you were to send it in so that they receive it 7-10 days before the hearing, it should be all right - just as I think it would probably be all right if you brought 5 copies to the hearing. In a sense there's no absolute guarantee of anything - I've known things to get lost in the post and even for the "guaranteed next day delivery" to fail, and I've known parents forget to bring papers to the hearing! :(

With regard to the year 5 report, it seems to me to be a borderline decision. Looking at the evidence as a whole, it would have been nice if the alternative VR score could have been a couple of points higher, and we don't yet know how accurate the headteacher's '1s' have been.

My ideal year 5 report would focus on high achievement/excellent progress rather than on effort/motivation (not that the latter quality is undesirable!). In other words, is high achievement/excellent progress the result of intelligence and ability rather than hard graft? Although you've sent me some extracts from the report, I can't quite work out what the balance is.

I have two suggestions.

1. Was the year 5 level based on ongoing teacher assessment rather than an optional SATs test? I think you should talk to the school and ask them to help you understand the jump in standard. Ideally they would give you a letter that mentions "remarkable progress" or "increasing maturity".

2. If you want to send the year 5 report to the Appeals Box (blotting out your daughter's name if you wish), I might see more clearly whether it would strengthen your case. (I can't promise, though, that we shall necessarily be closer to an answer!)
Etienne
kitty12

Post by kitty12 »

kitty12 wrote:If you want to send the year 5 report to the Appeals Box (blotting out your daughter's name if you wish), I might see more clearly whether it would strengthen your case. (I can't promise, though, that we shall necessarily be closer to an answer!)
Thanks very much, I have sent an email to the appeals box.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks, Kitty.

"Is beginning to ......" may not be perceived as a strong comment - but there are only a couple of them (interestingly in the subject we've been discussing)!

I like the fact that the report states which sets she's in.

The problem with school reports is that they're written for parents, not for panels. One has to hunt around for the key points (for appeal purposes), but I think they're there!

I see that the level you were concerned about was actually a test (a 'snapshot' on a particular day), whereas the teacher assessment was a 4. It might be worth asking the school whether they would judge that 4 to be a 4c, 4c/b, or 4b.

I would use the report, but suggest you circle boldly the current level 4s for English and maths, and also the sets, to draw attention to them. You could also underline boldly several phrases referring to high ability/achievement such as "work of a very high standard" (if you're happy for me to post a few others, I'll do so). Then, when you give your presentation, you can refer to them briefly and help the panel focus on what's important.
Etienne
kitty12

Post by kitty12 »

Thanks for that, those pointers are really useful :) One other question, how much weighting do things like House Captain, School council or School Ambassador hold. I understand that its all about the academics, but are achievements like this counted in an appeal?

Many thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now