A Question About CATs

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

A Question About CATs

Post by Amber »

Etienne, if you have time, which looking at the threads on here you might not; could you possibly explain to me how a child could score a mark on a particular CAT one year and then, the following year, score something wildly different on the same one? Given that they are supposed to indicate something as close to raw ability as possible, I am surprised when I see some of your posters listing a score of 107 one year and 119 the next. Here in Gloucestershire children only generally go through these tests once, in Year 5, but I gather that in some counties they do them more frequently. Doesn't it negate the claims made for them if they can vary so greatly over time? And why do schools in some areas administer them more often if they are supposed, essentially, to be intelligence tests?

Sorry if too long, or in the wrong place- am just interested.
Thanks.
Etienne

Re: A Question About CATs

Post by Etienne »

Hi Amber

A single set of CATs results may not be reliable.
Even NFER never claimed they could be trusted 100%.

There was a discussion about this here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... Ts#p207889

Ideally I think one would want to see a series of CAT tests over time.

It's interesting that the Bucks 11+ consists of two VR tests (set by GL Assessment/NFER) which are meant to be of equal standard, and they accept the higher of the two scores, presumably to allow for the reliability factor. 121 is the qualifying mark. It's not unusual for appeal panels to see scores of 110/120.
Etienne
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

I know it was dropped, but the old style three 11 plus tests was a far better exemplar of ability and must have made the appeal system far more accurate.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Thanks Etienne. I always thought NFER suggested doing them more often because they would make more money out of them!
Good that Bucks do 2 tests though - it does make it seem a little fairer.