Bancroft school

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tubby

Bancroft school

Post by tubby »

Does anyone know how selective this school is compared to others, such as chigwell, forest and city.

Thanks
vivienphung

Re: Bancroft school

Post by vivienphung »

Bancroft is the most selective out of the three and is better than the other two academically. Forest should be the easiest to get in.
My DS sat the Chigwell exam two weeks ago and will be sitting Bacroft's this Saturday.
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Hi vivienphung,
What type of preparation is needed for Bancroft's exam? Roughly how many students sit for this exam and how many will be selected?

Thanks.
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi Shargor21

Maths and English (Essay and Comprehension) are tested. The maths paper is 1 hour and 15 minutes and divided into two sections - the second sections includes "difficult" questions. The English paper is 1 hour. Bancroft do not do VR or NVR. Approximately 500 candidates for 50 places.

Cheers
Boo
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Hi, Bancroft's website has a sample paper on English and Maths. They do not test vr and nvr.

Maths is 1:15 minutes and are divided into two sections A and D (yes, no sections B and C). Section D is the difficult part.

Rumours had it that if section A is done sufficiently well, then it is good enough to get in provided English is also of similar standard. How reliable this is, no one knows.

English is also in two parts - comprehension and creative writing, one hour for both.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

was the English exam quite similar in format to the sample paper on the website. It mentions some sections maybe multiple choice & some questions might need a longer answer.

What I really want to know is if it is Multiple choice style (with options to choose as per GL multiple choice format) or are there choice of answers & you just circle the correct option on the paper itself (standard format style).
shagor21

Post by shagor21 »

Dear All,
How was the exam for your DCs on 28 Jan at Bancroft?
Have you received any letter for verbal interview?
According to my DS, English was reasonable but math was hard.

Thanks.
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

DS found both papers reasonable. There was one question on section D of maths DS could not do and had to guess (unfortunately, he guessed wrongly as he remembered the question and I worked out the answer afterwards). Interviews will start on Saturday and so I would think the school would start calling parents to arrange interview dates the latest by Thursday.
vivienphung

Post by vivienphung »

Has any one heard from Bancroft re the interview? They are starting this Saturday and one of their letters said they would ring rather than sending invite by post.
Jollygood

Post by Jollygood »

We've heard nothing yet. The wait is excruciating......