Rejection from Surbiton

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dearcoty

Rejection from Surbiton

Post by dearcoty »

Sadly my dd has a rejection from Surbiton High (we were hoping for waiting list at least). I haven't been able to get through and speak to the school yet for feedback, but just wondered whether anyone knows anything about the process? I'm not even sure how many were sitting the exam - it looked a lot but there is a large intake.

Thanks and hope you are all getting better news,

DC
la boume

Re: Rejection from Surbiton

Post by la boume »

So sorry to hear that...My friend's DD has been rejected by both SH and LEH, but for 7+

I think there are going to be 8 form intake.

Do you have a back-up?
dearcoty

Post by dearcoty »

Hi LB and thanks for your reply.

Yes, we have back-up but nothing firm as yet - fingers still crossed! Hope your friend has a plan c too,

DC
nada

Post by nada »

Sorry to hear about your rejection. Hope plan "B" is going to be successful. The Headteacher told me, on the entrance exam day, that 435 sat the exam. Not sure if she meant "registered" for exam. Good luck.
la boume

Post by la boume »

Just heard from a friend that there going to be 6 form intake~20 girls in each class. 8 form intake was not popular with the parents....
Pineapple

Post by Pineapple »

Any news on this year's entry? We found out that my dd has a place on the waiting list. Does anyone know the movement on the list in past years? I need to ring the school to find out where she is on the list
la boume

Post by la boume »

Hi Pineapple
From two years ago- they did not tell my friend's DD's position on the WL. Then they invited all applicants from the WL, creating 2 additional classes.
Last year- other friend's DD was offered the place from the WL in May.
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

Watching this thread with interest now especially in relation to class numbers and size in light of comments re. waiting list places. I was told at the Open Days it was going to be six classes this year as well, up to 22-24 per class, not up to 7 or 8 classes as has happened in past few years. However, feeling for anyone on the waiting list, but please shed any light if you get any information from the school about this. DD has been offered a place but I'm waiting for Tiffin results (like so many) where I also know for certain what their intake is, for this year at least!
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

DD is at Surbiton and they have said that they have no intention of ever having extra classes again, they just don't have enough space. The head has promised to limit to a 6 form entry and to manage the waiting list. Most schools in this area have been caught out one year and had to add "bulge" classes.
Its good news if you're on the waiting list, because they will have made the minimum number of offers, so places will become available as other schools make offers.
Surbiton Juniors is full beyond capacity now, and there are some girls who have been persuaded to take places at Rowans (which they also own) with,so rumours go, a gauranteed 11+ place at the High School. This is going to make less places available at 11+ for future years. I don't know what is happening to school application numbers in this area, it all seems to have gone a bit mad, particularly as the state schools are pretty good.
Pineapple

Post by Pineapple »

Thanks so much for the information. I was hoping that in light of the errors made in previous years that the waiting list would be small. Am just waiting for a call back from the school - perhaps they won't tell me what position she is but maybe they could give me an indication of the likelihood of a place. Eg if she is top 10 or just top 50.

I hadn't clocked the sibling policy properly before. I have a younger dd who is not showing quite as much academic promise as her sister but is still in top sets etc. does the policy mean that if dd1 gets in, as long as dd2 doesn't have a stinker in the exams, she's guaranteed a place? That could well make a difference to my preferences ( journey to Surbiton not brilliant for us)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now