Extended Project - Help Please

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Fran17

Extended Project - Help Please

Post by Fran17 »

My son opted to do an Extended Project. Speaking to him this evening I think he is feeling the pressure of all his A2 work and is seriously regretting having taken up this option. I feel it is added time spent on something that he probably could have done without. As usual his school starts everything late and I think they only started doing it in November.

The only problem we have is one of his offers requires him to get a B in the EP. Not the end of the world as I don't think he was putting it as one of his choices. The question I would like to ask is, does anyone know if he drops out at this stage will it affect the offers from other unis who haven't mentioned it in their offer requirements?
hermanmunster

Re: Extended Project - Help Please

Post by hermanmunster »

Fran - gather some of the lads at DS's school wish they hadn't taken on the EP now.... :roll: Fortunately DS seems OK at present about it but the others have been told that they have to ring any Unis they have offers with and tell them if they withdraw from the EP and the Uni may withdraw their offer (even if it didn't involve the EP) as they they have changed the planned exams etc...

... now whether this is school scaremongering I am not sure..but worth checking first :oops: ... partic with any first choice unis!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Oh that's a shame, Fran. I don't really know anything about extended projects, none of mine have done one. I'd imagine that if he gives it up it won't affect the offers made by the universities which haven't included it as part of their offers, but it might be wise just to check with them, or the school. Although sometimes the schools get a bit irritated when they have entered someone for something and then they pull out (we had that with the AS Business Studies last year :lol: )
I can't see any problem, but it is always wise to cover all bases.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You do need to tell all the universities - any changes must be conveyed to them.

UCAS will confirm this if you check with them.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you all so much. I hadn't suggested dropping out to him and following your replies we have had a chat. I think it is just a case of him being a bit more organised. He said he is going to get on top of it and seems a bit more relaxed about it. Maybe he just needed to let off a bit of steam. Thank you again for all your prompt replies and for always being such a help and support. I don't know what I would do without you all! :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lapis

Post by Lapis »

Hi Fran

DD has just handed in her EPQ and we have all breathed a huge sigh of relief that it is now out of the way and she can concentrate on revising for her A2 modules next week. One of her Uni offers is the standard AAA offer or AAB if she gets an A in the EPQ. This will be because the EPQ topic is relevant to her course choice. The other three offers so far have not specified EPQ but on Open days the line given was the EPQ was looked on very favourably as indication of interest beyond the curriculum in your chosen subject, and a candidate with EPQ may receive an offer over another with the same grades.

If it is a competitive course, it seems to me, it may be better to complete an EPQ with a less than perfect grade than to remove the EPQ totally from his profile- I personally would worry that it was taken into consideration during the offer process and his application might have to be reconsidered if it is dropped.

Lapis
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Thank you Belinda and Lapis. DS has told me he is going to press on and complete it as soon as he can so he can concentrate on his A2s. There is a great deal of pressure on them isn't there.

He seems a lot happier now we have chatted. :D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Bless him, they do often get so bogged down. I had a chat with mine, and they all agreed if they changed what they were studying, they would have to let the universities know. So best to crack on and hope for the best, I think :D

The good news is, the evenings are getting lighter and it will soon be the end of June :lol: