Would you go away for the weekend?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Middlesexmum

Would you go away for the weekend?

Post by Middlesexmum »

It was my 40th last week and as part of the celebrations, dh and I have arranged to go away for a rare weekend treat just the 2 of us. It's booked for 2/4th March weekend. However I'm having doubts about the timing. Private schools issue their results around 23rd Feb and state schools on 1st March. We then have a week to make the final decision.

Would you go away this weekend knowing we will probably be in the middle of a big decision? Dh thinks it will be fine but I can't help thinking my mind will be thinking about schools rather than having a relaxing weekend away!
Waiting_For_Godot

Re: Would you go away for the weekend?

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Middlesexmum wrote:It was my 40th last week and as part of the celebrations, dh and I have arranged to go away for a rare weekend treat just the 2 of us. It's booked for 2/4th March weekend. However I'm having doubts about the timing. Private schools issue their results around 23rd Feb and state schools on 1st March. We then have a week to make the final decision.

Would you go away this weekend knowing we will probably be in the middle of a big decision? Dh thinks it will be fine but I can't help thinking my mind will be thinking about schools rather than having a relaxing weekend away!
You could look at it two ways:

1) are you a couple that's likely to run out of things to say? If so, knowing the results will give you something else to discuss! :lol:

2) if I were you I'd go before or weeks after as you'll be stressing if it's not good news.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I think you should go! I suspect your decision will be made by then. Weekends away are a rare treat, go for it.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Whatever the March 1st decision or the 23rd results say there is very little that you can practically do ovet the weekend other than think. So go and have a nice weekend - phone calls and visits etc can wait until monday
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Personally I'd go earlier or later - just in case your DC needs some support the day after the final results if things don't go well. Just my personal opinion and relating to my own DD really
another mother

Post by another mother »

I'd go another weekend - in our experience you are quite likely to end up with a number of choices and there isn't long to decide. I was ringing parents and acquaintances, and working out travel etc over the weekend - it would definitely have taken the romance out of it.. :roll:

And your dc may want you around too - esp if they don't get their favourite and you need to talk up the others.

We also found that you feel differently about places once they want you. If you can, go back and see them again, unless you know for sure. Open days - or in some ways better - as they don't do the 'sell' in the same way - a private tour are good.

Best of luck and make sure you have a lovely weekend another weekend!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

yes, I would go. As Herman says there is little you can do over the weekend. Time just for you is precious, make the most of it!
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Hmm, some mixed opinions and I am still undecided!

Think my instincts are telling me not to go - I feel like we'll be telling dd her options and then disappearing for the weekend just when she might need us around. Problem is though, if we postpone we won't be able to go for quite a while after as we've got a family holiday over Easter. I suppose it's not the end of the world to wait and dh's birthday is in June so we could go around then maybe.
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I would also not go that weekend - not even so much because of thinking youwill have to do - though that might come into it - but because it could be quite an emotional for your dc and I think that it will be better if you are around - to help celebrate or to talk up another school or to ponder plan C, if it comes to that.