school report

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tubby

school report

Post by tubby »

Hi all,

I am not really sure about this, can one request for a copy of the school's report sent to schools for the 11 plus exams. :?: :?
Amber

Re: school report

Post by Amber »

In a state school there will not be a report because it is against the Schools Admissions Code - a secondary school cannot seek information from a primary school in advance of a place being offered.

If you are talking private schools - no harm in asking, I shouldn't have thought.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is that what you meant? I didn't fully understand your opening question. I would have thought you have some entitlement under some law or other to see any report written about your child. If the school says no, and you really want to see it, you could contact the office for the Information Commissioner and find out the best way to request it formally. Hopefully you won't have to go through such a rigmarole.
tubby

Post by tubby »

Thanks for the replies, sorry l meant school report for indies school, that is normally requested for before the exams.

Thanks.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Why don't you try asking on the independent section, and make it clearer?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Tubby, hopefully a school would be quite happy to show you what they had put.

Meanwhile I'll move this to the indie section and see if we get some more help there
doingmybest

Post by doingmybest »

School reports sent to senior schools by prep school are confidential and you have no right to see them, although I know people who have asked. People are always moaning about it, particularly if they didn't get into a school after an interview, they always blame the report. I think the confidentiality goes back to the good old days before pre-tests when a place was offered on school report only, subject to passing CE.
There does still seem to be a lot of emphasis on school reports, but only for school which have a close relationship/link.
zorro

Post by zorro »

State primary schools do send a report to an independent secondary school as this was requested prior to my son's interview. I didn't ask to see it as I was reasonably confident it would be ok but I think I would have done if he hadn't got in to the school.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

When my son moved from a state year 2 to indie year 3, the state school refused to let me see the report they had written.
sillymum

Post by sillymum »

Hi there, I think you'll find you have every right to see what someone...whether person or company has written relating to your child. I had an occasion at school where a report was written about my son. I ask for a copy, they refused but I went on to find out that "They", the school were actually in breach of the Data Protection Act, bearing in mind I was the parent on a "minor". Without hesitation, once I quoted the "Data Protection Act" they promptly produced a copy with many apologies :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now