Sorry Boring Hamster Advice Again.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scarlett

Sorry Boring Hamster Advice Again.

Post by scarlett »

I know there have been a few threads about hamsters but I need some advice desperately :( I have just opened up one of our hamster cages to clean and the hamster is nowhere to be seen . Only a huge hole where the drinks bottle was. I've no idea when it decided to make a run for it and due to DS2 plonking the cage on the stairs to his bedroom ( in the attic ) it could be anywhere. Do they climb stairs ? hide in the nearest dark place ? He is a tiny roboski hamster, but I can't hear any scratching noises and the dog isn't stressing in a room which he did when one of the bigger hamsters escaped .

If I leave a humane mouse trap in each room do you think we will catch it ? Do they return to their cages ?

I feel really sad. Am imagining it crying, hungry and thirsty. Will in survive in the wild ? :cry:
faitaccompli

Re: Sorry Boring Hamster Advice Again.

Post by faitaccompli »

I would worry more that the dog is NOT making a fuss ...

Best of luck in your search though!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

It's not in the wild...it's behind your skirting boards :shock: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, that wasn't helpful. :oops:

Mike
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

I think some of these tips may be useful, :
* Remember that hamsters are nocturnal, so will probably only move about overnight.
* Place a small pre-counted pile of sunflower seeds on the floor in each room. If any seeds disappear from a room, that gives you a better general idea where your lost hamster is hiding (unless you have any wild mice that are stealing your bait!).
* Sprinkle a little flour or cornstarch on the floor around the piles of seeds. A trail of little white footprints may lead to a hamster's hiding place.
* Similarly, sprinkle some flour across doorways and in front of any suspected hiding spots (like spaces under the cupboards or holes in the wall, as noted on your search). Check for footprints to see where your hamster is travelling at night.
* In the evening, try placing tinfoil or crinkly cellophane on the floor (concentrate on possible hideouts, doorways, and around the cage or food), turn out all the lights and sit quietly. If your lost hamster comes out, you may be able to locate it by the noise made as it walks across the foil or cellophane.
* An ingenious owner sent me this tip: tie long strands of yard to some peanuts (in the shell) - your hamster may gather them and take them to his or her hiding place, in which case the strands of yarn will lead you to the hiding spot!
I hope you find it soon.
;D
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Seven weeks later, Belinda !! where did he find water from I wonder ??

Thanks for the tips, Thingsbehindthesun....I'll have to choose something that A) the dog won't eat instead and B) DH won't trample through unawares. I'm just looking around the house and wishing I lived in a 2 room flat instead...there are lots of places to put flour down ! We also have an indoor guinea pig cage.I hope it won't end up in there :?

How do they get under skirting boards anyway ?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And under the floor boards or under rugs. Poor little hamster, I hope he appears soon.
scary mum
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Wouldn't I hear him ? ( He's called George by the way :( ) Or spotted him scuttling away ? Should I pull out the furniture in every room ? :evil:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm with you on this Scarlett you poor thing. Ours has been gone for more than a week now and there's been absolutely no sound of him, even at 11pm and 5am which I did in the first few anxious days.
That's very heartening Belinda, but is it possible he could return even when we haven't heard him at all?
My hubby said to put his cage in the garage, but I couldn't as it seemed so final and where would he return to?
Yes, I'm afraid they can climb stairs Scarlett. I watched this depressing You Tube clip of it after I'd Googled that very question on our first desperate night. I hope he turns up soon. (Of course, this was another worry for my poor DD...)
Thanks for posting those tips BTS.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now