City of London 11+ interviews

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mamakiso

City of London 11+ interviews

Post by mamakiso »

Hi everyone

Just got a call from City of London School inviting my DS for interview with the Head on 3rd February. Has anyone else heard from them? I am a bit confused because interviews were scheduled for 10 or 13 February.

Any ideas what to expect? I read on the school website that there's an individual, as well as group interview, but the lady who called said DS was not having a group interview just about 20mins with the Head.

thanks
questions

Re: City of London 11+ interviews

Post by questions »

Hi again, just posted on your other thread - yes I was told a 1:1 interview only, no group interview. There were group interviews for another age group on the day of the exam as I recall, maybe they've changed that system.

I hadn't realised about the date until you said but yes ours isn't 10th or 13th either.

So shall I conclude: (1) they've decided to interview way more candidates and are slotting in extra interviews all over the place; (2) DS is borderline and they're giving him an extra interview before the proper interview; (3) its to do with applying for scholarship; (4) something else entirely which I haven't thought of...
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

Hi

The lady that called wasn't overly friendly! I think you're right it might be to do with bursary/scholarship (website gives 2 days for sponsored awards interviews). She did say some mental maths questions but that's my DS strongest subject so don't think its because he's borderline. He interviewed with Dulwich College and they also asked maths questions and asked him to read a passage from a book. They asked general questions from his interests and 1 on global warming!!

I really hope they're not planning to subject him to 2 interviews; he's already had to do 2 separate exams!!
questions

Post by questions »

Sorry yes sponsored award rather than scholarship applications I was thinking of. So that's the reason - the letter we were sent before the exams could have been clearer really if the interview dates are totally different, and that was always the plan. So our kids get less of an ordeal in that they don't have to stick around all day for group interviews as well.

Agree that it would not be great if they have to return for yet another interview after these!
questions

Post by questions »

I wonder what they hoped to assess at Dulwich by asking your DS to read a passage from a book, surely anyone getting to interview stage is going to be very fluent and well read!
Yoch

Post by Yoch »

Hi Questions and Mamakiso,
Just responded to your other posts. Well done. Out of curiosity did you both apply for sponsored awards?
mamakiso

Post by mamakiso »

Yoch - City, I understand was a bit different this year and had a sponsored award exam first; yes my DS went for it and passed!

Questions - your right -the letter only said show availability for 10/13 Feb, no other dates. Lol, not sure at Dulwich's reasoning but DS said interview was good and very enlightening. He didn't find it at all stressful . The parents met with the Master (head) of the school and that also was good.