How much do you pay for exam fees?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Moonlight

How much do you pay for exam fees?

Post by Moonlight »

My DD is about to sit her GCSE exams and I have been given a list of exam costs from her school. Altogether there are ten exams to pay for and the bill for this will be approximately £300! I knew that I would have to pay these but this does seem quite a lot of money to me.

I will also have to pay for the final term despite the fact that DD will only be there for a couple of weeks. I realise that the usual wages and upkeep of the school etc still need to be paid for but it would have been nice if there was at least some reduction for our last term. At least the exam fees could have been included in this if nothing else.

I'm sure this is usual practise amongst indie schools but would be interested to hear of other people's experiences. :)
FluffyD

Re: How much do you pay for exam fees?

Post by FluffyD »

I have no experience of this at all but on reading your post I had to comment.

I agree with you that it seems very harsh to pay a full terms fees and then exam costs on top of that, maybe you should carry on sending DC there for the rest of the term and see what they say :wink:
Vic x
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

Most independent schools don't take into account, that most of the children will finish their academic year mid june, and I think the fee for exams may also depend on the exam board but usually tend to be around £23-35 each.
;D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

This is an important thread and would be good to make it a sticky as I think many parents are often unaware of what goes on during the exam period. A lot of independent schools expect children to be in school and continue to teach the subject, offer other activities or revision on site and no study leave is allowed. Other schools expect children to be at home. I assume all schools do not cover exam costs in their fees but it is worth enquiring.
goinggetstough

Post by goinggetstough »

A few independent schools have exams as part of their fees but sadly not ones my DCs have attended!
As for finishing term early. It seems to be the norm after GCSEs especially if new students will arrive for the sixth form so they don't miss anything. After AS levels there can be a week free depending on when individual AS exams are but then schools start A2 teaching mid June. For example my daughter had all her AS exams completed by 23rd May a few years ago! At my son's boarding school after a2s they have to leave by the day after their last exam but return for Open Day at the end of term.
As for being reimbursed for fees my husband dreams of that situation! On a positive note you could always view the autumn term as good value compared to the summer term!!!!!
daughter

Post by daughter »

Hi, My DD's school has exam fees included in school fees - you do pay for re-sits though (seems fair enough).

They do all have significant periods of exam leave in Yrs 11-13 but go back to school after the exams. After GCSE's (yr 11) they go back to school for two weeks of AS level lessons - with the "newbie" 6th formers joning them if able to. After AS levels they have 3.5 weeks of A2 teaching (AS exams are relatively early). After A2 exams they have of course officially finished school but go back in for a couple of days of fun and celebration after many of them have been on the now semi-traditional Malia holiday. I don't really object to paying the school fees as the teachers remain available etc but I have to say I have cancelled school lunches (saving about £140) for the summer term when they have external exams.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Thank you for your replies. DD's official leaving date is early May. I think the expectation is that the students will study at home and only go in for exams and/or if they need any further help from the teachers. I have been told that, if my daughter wants to see a particular subject tutor, it is best to check beforehand in case the teacher has to cover another class etc. Of course, this is fair enough but I can't help thinking that it's a foregone conclusion that Year 11's will not be around much.
goinggetstough wrote:As for being reimbursed for fees my husband dreams of that situation! On a positive note you could always view the autumn term as good value compared to the summer term!!!!!
This is a good point and one which I will have to keep reminding myself of between now and then. :D
daughter

Post by daughter »

Moonlight - my DD's are told they can come in and see their teacher during any of their normal lesson times - (also told that it is preferable to pre-warn the teacher so that they know where to find them). Most teachers also run set drop-in times e.g. Geography 9.30 on Tuesday.
Although they are not teaching - I do believe we are and do pay for the teachers availability. :)
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

daughter wrote:Although they are not teaching - I do believe we are and do pay for the teachers availability. :)
I agree with you and I will keep an eye on how this all works out.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now