Very confused and not very positive

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sobnan

Very confused and not very positive

Post by sobnan »

Hi, this is my first time here and like so many others also very surprised at dds result as it wasn't expected. I have sent in a message to the appeals box

Want to know

1- Can I only appeal to my first choice grammar school, which was Lgs? As I also want to appeal to St B, my second choice. Dd is already at a Faith school and I like the environment. Also we have moved here 2 and a half years ago and dd has only now settled and made friends, some of those are going to StB as they have passed and are catholics too so just about guaranteed a place. Also we have a different faith and not catholics, Is it sensible to appeal?
2- We have no mitigating circumstances.
3- Her reading level is high, will it help if I can get a letter from her teacher saying that?
4-Can't think of anything else to bring as proof except reports from school and maybe some workbooks.
5-Should I send in all the proof with the letter of appeal or can it wait?
6- Do I have to send the original letter of the Head or can I send in a copy and take the original with me?

The problem is also that even though I want dd to go to GS, I am not very positive about the outcome of this appeal at all.I don't think I have enough material at all especially after reading so many postings here. I personally feel dd has been overconfident, such a shame as she is an able child.

Any help will be much appreciated.
sobnan
Etienne

Re: Very confused and not very positive

Post by Etienne »

Welcome!
Can I only appeal to my first choice grammar school, which was Lgs? As I also want to appeal to St B, my second choice.
You have a legal right to appeal for any school provided you have applied and have been refused.
Dd is already at a Faith school and I like the environment. Also we have moved here 2 and a half years ago and dd has only now settled and made friends, some of those are going to StB as they have passed and are catholics too so just about guaranteed a place. Also we have a different faith and not catholics, Is it sensible to appeal?
If by 'sensible' you mean 'What are the chances?', it's impossible to say.
Her reading level is high, will it help if I can get a letter from her teacher saying that?
We suggest that it helps to have a reading age two years ahead of chronological, but on its own it's a marginal factor.
Should I send in all the proof with the letter of appeal or can it wait?
It could wait.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
6- Do I have to send the original letter of the Head or can I send in a copy and take the original with me?
A copy will be fine.

Do be sure to read the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sobnan

Post by sobnan »

Thankyou for such a prompt reply. I have read and re-read the QAs and I think am now ready to begin writing the appeal letter. Just one thing though
- what is a head teacher summary sheet
-what are 2:1 or1:2 scores

Thankyou
confused :oops:
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

- what is a head teacher summary sheet
Nothing to do with a Berks appeal! (It's used in Bucks.)
-what are 2:1 or1:2 scores
Ditto!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sobnan

Post by sobnan »

Ah Ok so that means I do not need these. But then
- is there any appeals 'jargon' I should know for a Berks appeal?
- I have read on the respective schools websites that appeals will be heard after March26. We have holidays booked then :roll: , can the appeal be postponed or will it be detrimental to the hearing?
- What is 12+?
Also I read somewhere on the forum that it is not advisable to submit other 11+ scores as proof of ability.So now I am having second thoughts on submitting her Bucks score......and I was using that as a platform :(
Thanks in advance.
Sobnan
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

- is there any appeals 'jargon' I should know for a Berks appeal?
No.
- I have read on the respective schools websites that appeals will be heard after March26. We have holidays booked then :roll: , can the appeal be postponed or will it be detrimental to the hearing?
They will tell you that the appeal can go ahead in your absence, but this may not be in your interests.
- What is 12+?
Similar to 11+ but for year 8 entry (at which point there may be no vacancies anyway).
Bucks have a clearly stated procedure for the 12+. The consortium grammar schools, as far as I know, do not - and may be reluctant to test.
Etienne
sobnan

Post by sobnan »

I sent in my appeal letter to St B and Lgs. Lgs was our first choice and second was St.B, as listed on the CAF.
I have today received a call from ST.B that they cannot accept my appeal as my daughter took the test at Lgs and that was her first choice Grammar school. I was under the impression that we could apply to all the schools on the CAF. Could someone please shed some light on this.

Thankyou
Sobnan
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

I am in the same situation. Have sent appeals letters to both lgs (1st choice) and SGS (2nd choice). Waiting to hear from sgs.
AnxiousMum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

The issue has been discussed before. See this thread.
Let me be clear - you have a legal right of appeal for any school you applied to on your CAF, if you have been refused.

(I'm assuming the consortium is not operating a Bucks-type system where there is a single appeal against non-qualification.)

Slough mum raised this issue with the ombudsman last year. See this thread.

As far as I can tell from this post, the ombudsman upheld her complaint, and the school was told to arrange an appeal.

If the situation is confusing, it's because the consortium appears to be making it so!
sobnan wrote:I sent in my appeal letter to St B and Lgs. Lgs was our first choice and second was St.B, as listed on the CAF.
I have today received a call from ST.B that they cannot accept my appeal as my daughter took the test at Lgs and that was her first choice Grammar school. I was under the impression that we could apply to all the schools on the CAF. Could someone please shed some light on this.
Interesting that they phoned, rather than putting it in writing!

Strictly speaking, I don't think you have any right of appeal until after 1st March. The fact that the consortium allows an appeal to the 1st preference school before 1st March is entirely at their discretion.

I suggest you re-submit your appeal to your second preference school after 1st March with a request that they acknowledge its receipt in writing. (If they ring you up saying "We can't accept it," tell them you wish to have their refusal in writing because you intend to refer the matter to the ombudsman. If they refuse to send you a letter, tell them that you have noted their reluctance to put anything in writing, and will be drawing the ombudsman's attention to this as well!)

If you need our help, we will advise you what to do next.
Etienne
mumofthree1972

Post by mumofthree1972 »

Dear Etienne,
Do you think it is a good idea to submit an appeal to each of the schools that appears on our CAF form (slough consortium) prior to 1 March.
I have submitted an appeal to LGS and awaiting an appeal date but also applied to others .... shall I submit or wait? Any response is gratefully appreciated...Such a grey area..
Many thanks