What happens if not enough children have passed the test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DC17C

What happens if not enough children have passed the test?

Post by DC17C »

Hi just wondering if it ever possible that there are not enough children who have passed the test to fill all the GS places? or is the marking some how worked out to ensure about the right number of children pass to fill the places?
The 2011 test seemed to be a particular challenge- I am not so concerned for dd as she has hopefully done well enough to get a place, but I just just wonder for the sake of some friends- is an appeal possible if missed by a few marks?
capers123

Re: What happens if not enough children have passed the test

Post by capers123 »

DC17C wrote:Hi just wondering if it ever possible that there are not enough children who have passed the test to fill all the GS places? or is the marking some how worked out to ensure about the right number of children pass to fill the places?
The 2011 test seemed to be a particular challenge- I am not so concerned for dd as she has hopefully done well enough to get a place, but I just just wonder for the sake of some friends- is an appeal possible if missed by a few marks?
Most of the schools, come allocation day, are full, with a waiting list comprised of those who passed but did not get quite a high enough score to get a place. They may get one after the re-shuffle.

However, in the past 3 or 4 years, I understand that Ribston & Crypt have allocated places to all of the children who passed, and still had empty places. They can not allocate them to the top scorers who did not get a high enough score to be deemed selective, as they're selective schools so have to have a cut-off.

It's then down to the parents to go to the Independent Appeals Panels making a strong case as to why they should have done better on the day of the exam (extenuating circumstances) and why the child is bright enough to be suitable. The panels can allow as many or as few appeals as they see fit - just because the schools are undersubscribed doesn't mean they have to fill the school up. Some appeals will be successful & others not, but I would always recommend going to appeal if you can stand the 'stress' - there's nothing to loose but sanity in preparing it.

Of course, it's also possible to launch an appeal for the other schools that aren't undersubscribed - some (most) have had more pupils come 1st September than their PAN, and that can only be because of an appeal (or very, very rarely, an error in the admission process picked up after allocation day).

Another thing to remember is that there are some very good non-selective schools around the county, and personally know of quite a few children who have chosen them even though they passed their 11+. It's not a case of one size fits all, irrespective of academic ability!
Capers
DC17C

Re: What happens if not enough children have passed the test

Post by DC17C »

Thanks for the reply - there are pretty major extenuating circumstances for the child I am thinking of so thanks for the advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now