Parmiter's - Out of catchment

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
harlequin

Parmiter's - Out of catchment

Post by harlequin »

Hi

Can someone please clarify exactly how many places are available for 2012 intake primarily for those out of catchment?

We really liked this school, but as we are OOC, we are a little pessimistic of getting a place! :(

Thanks

Harlequin
hermanmunster

Re: Parmiter's - Out of catchment

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not sure that schools keep places specifically for OOC - what dose the admission policy say?

edit: found it!

http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/admis ... explained/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

19 are on distance - 47 academic 19 music - also siblings - then any remaining on distance

edited even more!!!

5% or about 8.5 places :wink: are for OOC
PlutoMum

Post by PlutoMum »

We also applied for a Parmiter's out of catchment place for DS. Initially we calculated there to be about 5 or 6 places but the website is now saying the following:

Academic
25% of places will be allocated in order of academic ability. This equates to 47 places (44 from within the catchment area and 3 from outside the catchment area).

:(

I'm not how many (more?) might be for Music OOC.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

This question has been asked before:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 18&t=13589" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know it's not the same question - couldn't find the thread I was thinking of - but the question is answered here.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

In 2011 there were 15 out OOC places. After siblings of previous year's OOC kids were taken into consideration, 4 places went to academic route and 1 to music route.

I recall the music number coz my DC was No 2 :-( but the academic places may have been 5. Either way, getting a OOC place, if u haven't got a DC there already, is remote.
WP

Post by WP »

Pushy Dad wrote:In 2011 there were 15 out OOC places. After siblings of previous year's OOC kids were taken into consideration, 4 places went to academic route and 1 to music route.
No, it's always 3 academic places and 1 music for out-of-catchment (5% of the 47 academic and 19 music places respectively). Sibling places have nothing to do with the catchment.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

WP wrote:
Pushy Dad wrote:In 2011 there were 15 out OOC places. After siblings of previous year's OOC kids were taken into consideration, 4 places went to academic route and 1 to music route.
No, it's always 3 academic places and 1 music for out-of-catchment (5% of the 47 academic and 19 music places respectively). Sibling places have nothing to do with the catchment.
I think we had the same conversation a year ago :-) This was what the Admissions people told us.
WP

Post by WP »

Pushy Dad wrote:
WP wrote:
I think we had the same conversation a year ago :-) This was what the Admissions people told us.
We keep having the same conversation, unfortunately. On a previous occasion,
(in April 2011) Pushy Dad wrote:I stand corrected. Mrs PB spoke to admissions about CI and the sibling rule DOES apply to out of catchment.

Of the 9 places available, 5 went to siblings, 3 to academic and 1 to music.
The admissions arrangements say:
For applicants who satisfy Criteria 4, 5 and 6:

95% of the places available will be allocated to applicants from the following post code areas: WD3 to WD25 inclusive, AL1, AL2, AL3, HP1, HP2, HP3 and HA6
Criteria 4, 5 and 6 are medical, academic (47 places) and music (19 places). No connection is made between the catchment and the sibling criterion (#3). The explanation on their website says 3 of the 47 academic places are for out of catchment. The only evidence that they're not doing that is your recollection of what they said, and even there you agree that there were 3 academic places and 1 music place in the year you asked about. Rather than accuse them of not following their published arrangements (which they are required to do by law), I consider it more likely that there has been some confusion along the chain of communication from the school to you.
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

WP wrote:No, it's always 3 academic places and 1 music for out-of-catchment (5% of the 47 academic and 19 music places respectively). Sibling places have nothing to do with the catchment .... Criteria 4, 5 and 6 are medical, academic (47 places) and music (19 places). No connection is made between the catchment and the sibling criterion (#3). The explanation on their website says 3 of the 47 academic places are for out of catchment. The only evidence that they're not doing that is your recollection of what they said, and even there you agree that there were 3 academic places and 1 music place in the year you asked about. Rather than accuse them of not following their published arrangements (which they are required to do by law), I consider it more likely that there has been some confusion along the chain of communication from the school to you.
190 places total. 5% goes to OOC which equated to 9 places in 2011. Of the 9, there were 3 academic places and 1 music place which leaves 5 places that went to some DC. Who did those 5 places go to, if not OOC siblings?

Initially, we thought that the 5% was split solely between academic and music. We tried to get Admissions to elaborate on the 5% split. "9 places go to OOC. That is all you need to know" was the unhelpful response. They were only forthcoming after the results were announced.

The website is (deliberately?) vague about how the 5% is split but given the maths and what I was told by Admisssions, I don't understand why you are disputing what it is I am saying for the 2nd year running.

Anyway, same place/forum this time next year :)
WP

Post by WP »

Pushy Dad wrote:The website is (deliberately?) vague about how the 5% is split but given the maths and what I was told by Admisssions, I don't understand why you are disputing what it is I am saying for the 2nd year running.
The school's published admissions arrangements (which are legally binding) are very clear. I quoted them above: the 95/5% split applies to criteria 3, 4 and 5 (medical, academic and music), and not to other criteria such as sibling places.

I am continuing to dispute your repetition of this misinformation because it's rather important that parents thinking of applying to this school have an accurate account of the rules so that they can use their preferences wisely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now