Berks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
hkgill

Berks appeal

Post by hkgill »

DD scores 110 for Slough Consortium. We got the papers remarked and as expected there was not change. However, we were informed that she scored 67/80 in both tests in which she scored 113 in NVR and 107 in VR. She made random mistakes in NVR and patterned mistakes in VR (had 4 in a row wrong twice). Can we turn this in to a positive?

CATS 2009 - VR -108 NVR 107 Quant - 107 overall 107
CATS 2011 VR 112 NVR 123 Quant 119 Overall 118

Ed Psch has given her 119 in Verbal Comprehension and 123 in Perceptual Reasoning GAI is 124 on 95th percentile. She also mentioned that DD was anxious to start with and made mistakes by trying to answer quickly ans thne as test became more difficult she settled, learned as she went and celarly responded to the challenge. She was able to succeed in the very hardest items for up to 16years 11 months - is this positive? We don't have any extenuating circumstances, can we be honest and mention what ed Psych has mentioned as we beleive this is the case too that she settles with challenges whereas if she feels that the questions are easy, she makes mistakes by either not reading the qusetion properly or trying to answer too quickly.

HT has given her 2:1 Recommendation : Attitude, KS2 predicted level 5 with effort level 1.

Pupil profile grading is 'outstanding' f(top 33%) for every subject, intellectual ability, application fo intellectual ability in class, progress and attainment, effort and committment, behaviour, presentation and standard of work, standard of homework and parental support. HT has also added that the school is categorised by the LA as a school with a top quartile profile (we need this explained) and that the pupil profile grading reflect those of the school and that context should be taken in to consideration in realtion to other schools/settings when judging the banding information provided for the pupil - will this go some way in arguing for a place against both academic capability and oversubsciption?
Etienne

Re: Berks appeal

Post by Etienne »

She made random mistakes in NVR and patterned mistakes in VR (had 4 in a row wrong twice). Can we turn this in to a positive?
I'm not sure!
GAI is 124 on 95th percentile.
GAI (General Ability Index) is a summary score derived from the 3 Verbal Comprehension and 3 Perceptual Reasoning subtests, and is less sensitive to the influence of working memory and processing speed. As it's not usually calculated, was there a relative weakness in working memory and/or processing speed?
She was able to succeed in the very hardest items for up to 16years 11 months - is this positive?
Yes.
We don't have any extenuating circumstances, can we be honest and mention what ed Psych has mentioned as we beleive this is the case too that she settles with challenges whereas if she feels that the questions are easy, she makes mistakes by either not reading the qusetion properly or trying to answer too quickly.
It's a point worth making.
HT has given her 2:1 Recommendation : Attitude,
A Bucks grading for a Berks appeal :?: - I'm confused!
KS2 predicted level 5 with effort level 1.
It would have been interesting to have sub-levels.
the pupil profile grading reflect those of the school and that context should be taken in to consideration
Could this be a private school? A state school would normally refer to national curriculum levels (e.g. 'working above the expected level').
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Thanks you
Last edited by hkgill on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnxiousMum
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Thanks Etienne Its a state school
Last edited by hkgill on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnxiousMum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Oh, my, you are in a flap aren't you! I'm not sure what happened with that last post, but if it was unintentional you can delete it.

I am sure Etienne will be back before long, but I am quite sure she is not saying the case isn't strong enough, based on what you have told us so far. She is simply trying to get more information.

On the Head's Recommendation I think she is concerned that it appears to be a Recommendation for a Bucks appeal hearing. If so it will be of no relevance for a Berks hearing - indeed, the panel will probably never have seen such a thing. If you could clarify that point it would be helpful.

S-A
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Sincere apologies, didn't mean in my wildest dreams to upset anyone, especially our most helpful guides/angels...sorry again. Just could not get a handle on how to quote! So I'm everywhere!!!

Not sure why HT has based his report on Bucks style, it is a Berks state primary school. That's what I've been given.

Thanks S-A and Etienne...
AnxiousMum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

hkgill wrote:Sincere apologies, didn't mean in my wildest dreams to upset anyone, especially our most helpful guides/angels...sorry again.
No upset felt at all - we have seen enough panicking parents on here to know the symptoms by now! :D
Not sure why HT has based his report on Bucks style, it is a Berks state primary school. That's what I've been given.
If he regularly deals with Bucks appeals he may think that the same format applies for all appeals. On the other hand, if he has done a lot of Bucks appeals I would expect him to have done a lot of Berks appeals too! Is he new to the system, by any chance?

Are you aware of whether the Pupil Profile is based on a particular assessment system or type of software? It sounds fairly sophisticated, and possibly more like the sort of I.T. systems used in some secondary schools. If you don't know, perhaps you could find out?

If you would like to post details of the type of VR questions that tripped her up I will see if there is any argument to be had there - that is more my field than Etienne's.

Also, if you can PM me the name of the current school I will look into the "top quartile" assertion for you.

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

GAI (General Ability Index) is a summary score derived from the 3 Verbal Comprehension and 3 Perceptual Reasoning subtests, and is less sensitive to the influence of working memory and processing speed. As it's not usually calculated, was there a relative weakness in working memory and/or processing speed?
not that I can think of. Ed Pscyh didn't mention this
- So what was the Full Scale IQ (this is the more usual calculation)?
But is this good grading???
- I certainly think so, but I don't know what an appeal panel in Berkshire would make of it!
The school dont give subsets, I did ask.
- OK. I know not all schools will provide sub-levels. Has the class done any optional SATs tests? (Sometimes these are administered in year 5, and the levels are given on the end of year report.)
Could this be a private school? A state school would normally refer to national curriculum levels (e.g. 'working above the expected level').
A State school
- OK.
Sally-Anne wrote: If you would like to post details of the type of VR questions that tripped her up I will see if there is any argument to be had there - that is more my field than Etienne's.
Definitely! :lol:
Sally-Anne wrote:I am sure Etienne will be back before long, but I am quite sure she is not saying the case isn't strong enough, based on what you have told us so far. She is simply trying to get more information.
Indeed! :)
I'm just raising a few questions and trying to understand some of the points.
We deal with 'excerpts' on the forum, whereas it's much easier for an appeal panel because they will have all the evidence in front of them!
Etienne
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Etienne wrote:
not that I can think of. Ed Pscyh didn't mention this
- So what was the Full Scale IQ (this is the more usual calculation)?
Normal range is 85-111 in which DD scored 124 at 95% confidence
But is this good grading???
- I certainly think so, but I don't know what an appeal panel in Berkshire would make of it!
Do you know what the fomat is for Berks appeal?
The school dont give subsets, I did ask.
- OK. I know not all schools will provide sub-levels. Has the class done any optional SATs tests? (Sometimes these are administered in year 5, and the levels are given on the end of year report.)
At the end of year 5 she was 4a for English and Maths
A State school
- OK.
Sally-Anne wrote: If you would like to post details of the type of VR questions that tripped her up I will see if there is any argument to be had there - that is more my field than Etienne's.
Definitely! :lol:
Sally-Anne wrote:I am sure Etienne will be back before long, but I am quite sure she is not saying the case isn't strong enough, based on what you have told us so far. She is simply trying to get more information.
Indeed! :)
I'm just raising a few questions and trying to understand some of the points.
We deal with 'excerpts' on the forum, whereas it's much easier for an appeal panel because they will have all the evidence in front of them!
please accept my sincere thank you for helping me and all the other distressed parents who find some solace from the heartening success stories frm this site...
hkgill

Post by hkgill »

Hi Etienne, Sally-Anne,

I agree head teacher's support letter as you have mentioned is Bucks style. What should a Berks style summary look like? I am getting very anxious (as per my signature :wink: ) that we may not get our message across and this is our last chance. Is there anything that we can do to get the panel to understand the summary Berks style (I am happy to scan a copy over to you)
Hope to hear from you soon.
AnxiousMum