Reading School Catchment Area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum-of-three

Reading School Catchment Area

Post by mum-of-three »

Hi Everybody

I am new to this forum and have been going through previous question and answers. I must appreciate the good work of administrators and all of you as per the information i found in here.

I am interested for my DS to enter the exam of Reading School. Though we do not live locally therefore I am concerned about the catchment area criteria. I am confused about the whole process of going about it, should we plan to move first OR should we take the test first and see how he performs. Can anyone advice on this as per the Reading school is concerned?

Also can someone please let me know privately any good tutors or tuition academies that you sons have used for the eleven plus test? I do not know anyone personally in my area whose boy is going to that school so the forum is my only hope.

Thanks in advance
Reading Mum

Re: Reading School Catchment Area

Post by Reading Mum »

Reading has a designated area which is pretty large. If you are outside this then I would say there really is no chance of a place. I think you would need to be living inside this area when you submit the CAF form in October to be considered - although someone else may correct me on this.

From their website:

Designated Area
All day places will be offered to applicants who perform well enough in the tests and who reside within the designated area. Only if there are further places available will candidates who live outside the designated area be considered.

The designated area consists of:

All post codes starting:

RG1, RG2, RG4, RG5, RG6, RG7, RG8, RG10, RG12, RG18, RG19, RG30, RG31, RG40, RG41, RG42, RG45.

RG9 1, RG9 2, RG9 3, RG9 4 & RG9 5
RG14 1, RG14 2, RG14 3, RG14 5, RG14 6 & RG14 7
RG20 4, RG20 5, RG20 6 & part of RG20 7 (east of A34)
RG26 3, RG26 4 & part of RG26 5 (north of A339)
RG27 0 & parts of RG27 8 & RG27 9 (north of M3)

GU15 1, GU15 2, GU15 3 & GU15 4
GU17 0 & GU17 9
GU19 5
GU46 6 & GU46 7
GU47 0, GU47 8 & GU47 9

OX10 0, OX10 8, OX10 9 & part of OX10 6 (south of A4130)
OX11 9

SL4 4
SL5 0, SL5 7, SL5 8 & SL5 9
SL6 1, SL6 2, SL6 3, SL6 4, SL6 5, SL6 6 & SL6 7
mum-of-three

Post by mum-of-three »

Many Thanks for your reply Reading Mum.

Though we have plans to move but I am not sure when is the best time to do the move. If it is before the test and my DS could not get through that slims my chances further....

Is there any other grammar school in the area ie Berkshire where you can apply out of catchment area?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I know there are grammars in Slough that operate as a consortium but I don't know any details as I am not considering them myself (I only have a DD and live in central Reading). I suggest you post a new query in the Berkshire section under regions for this sort of info - I am sure someone will come along with some help there.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I am sure someone will come along with some help there.
I'll move the thread to Berkshire and hopefully someone will be along to assist.
mum-of-three

Post by mum-of-three »

Thanks...looking forward to any replies or suggestions
aliportico

Post by aliportico »

You might want to make a new thread in case the Slough area people don't read this one as it's re Reading School. (I know I don't bother looking at the Slough ones, as I don't know anything about the schools!)

I suppose you could rent somewhere in catchment whilst applying and move or not once you had the results. Depends how far away you are and your cirucmstances as to whether that was doable! Personally, I wouldn't move on spec, but then I also wouldn't be looking at schools too far away either. Different if you want to move anyway.