Y6 'Prefect' duties

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JimB

Y6 'Prefect' duties

Post by JimB »

My child is in Y6. Currently, every single break for weeks on end is being taken up with a so-called prefect duty where he sits in a corridor waiting to be needed for some activity that could just as well be carried out in a simpler way that wouldn't require him to go quietly crazy with boredom. It should go without saying that children need exercise and play for their physical and mental well-being.

Does anybody know what the regulations are regarding a child's entitlement to a proper playtime? I've asked my local authority and can't get a straight answer. I have been all over the internet and I can't find national or local guidelines.

Does anybody know if the school has the right to insist that he spends his day in this awful way? Has anybody else had similar problems or am I alone?
scarlett

Re: Y6 'Prefect' duties

Post by scarlett »

What duties is he on call for ? :shock: especially one which involve sitting in a corridor whilst everyone else is playing outside ?? Is he holding the first aid kit.

Have you asked the school ? Of course he should be out playing with his friends . Is he the only one doing this ?
yoyo123

Re: Y6 'Prefect' duties

Post by yoyo123 »

I would ask the school what he is doing, our Y6 class take it in turn to be 'playleaders' to help the younger ones, but without knowing what his task is supposed to be it's difficult to give advice. I agree that children need to get out and run off steam. Even a day or two of "wet playtimes" is enough to send even the mildest teacher up the wall!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now