Bucks appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
New Parent

Bucks appeal

Post by New Parent »

I have received the paperwork back for the appeal which is next Thursday and just wanted to know how the appeal panel reach their decision. For example, if 2 of the panel members believe that sufficient evidence is shown to prove high academic ability and the other 1 disagrees; is it a majority decision????

Also to sum up our DCs case

119 scores
1:1 ht recommendation
Level 3's and one 2A at KS1
Predicted Level 5's for KS2
Working at 5A in Maths and 5B in Science and English in the recent mock sats
Top sets in school

Does the above seem enough evidence of high ability?

Thanks
gooddad

Re: Bucks appeal

Post by gooddad »

Hi New Parent

What are the cat scores ?

What were the 11+ paper 1 and paper 2 results
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Hi Gooddad, I have just read your recent posting and wish to say Congratulatons!!
My DCs school doesn't do CAT testing therefore I have no further evidence to present in the appeal other than Sats scores. I hope this is going to be ok. I have read in previous posts that there should be a wide range of evidence to show academic ability and feel a tad worried about that. I will be taking last years school report with me aswell.

P.S do you know how the appeal panel come to make their decision.

Many thanks
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi New Parent

What i did was prepair a file for each panel member

My presentation followed the file
So the following is what i had in my file

1 Letter from the head teacher - which I talked about the main points, and also reading age and spelling age
2 Head teachers assessment showing the recommendations
3 cats results since yr 4 to date
4 SAT's results from year 2 to date
5 cats analysis for year 5
6 i had put a copy of the year 3, 4, 5, school report, and read out the key points for each subjects to the panel
7 Details of extenuating circumstances
8 remark and analysis of the tests
9 letters from my DS infant school head teacher
9 other info such as outside of school activites

all in all 48 pages, and my presentation was 15 mins long approx

I asked the panel if they will turn to page xx when talking through my presentation which they did.
the panel did say to me at the end of the meeting , that i had given a full and rounded presentation of my DS appeal and they i made it easy to understand all the points for them

you have a good score 119 on both papers,
what you need to do i think and it helped me was to try to find out where your DC sits e.g in terms of top 10 in school regarding his sats
so i hope you all the best,
gooddad

Post by gooddad »

Hi

sorry forgot to add

Took a range of books my DS had read - i think i took about 8 of them in - also took my DS reading records
Took School work folders and requested school books i.e english and maths from the school

any thing i said i backed up
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Gooddad, thanks for all your advice. It is greatly appreciated. I hadn't even thought of presenting the evidence in folders...i was just going to take it in and put it on the table for them to see.

Great advice...i'll get cracking.

Thanks again.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi gooddad

I am slightly perplexed by this:
gooddad wrote:What i did was prepair a file for each panel member

My presentation followed the file
So the following is what i had in my file

1 Letter from the head teacher - which I talked about the main points, and also reading age and spelling age
2 Head teachers assessment showing the recommendations
3 cats results since yr 4 to date
4 SAT's results from year 2 to date
5 cats analysis for year 5
6 i had put a copy of the year 3, 4, 5, school report, and read out the key points for each subjects to the panel
7 Details of extenuating circumstances
8 remark and analysis of the tests
9 letters from my DS infant school head teacher
9 other info such as outside of school activites

all in all 48 pages, and my presentation was 15 mins long approx
If I recall correctly, the majority of your evidence was submitted in advance of the appeal, and would therefore already have been circulated to the the panel prior to the hearing? Did you therefore copy everything again?

If so, my concern would be that the panel might not be able to distinguish immediately between evidence already submitted and new evidence. That creates a risk that the appeal could be adjourned to another day to give the panel a chance to sift through the new submission to make sure they had read it all properly.

I would make two other comments which are firstly, that a presentation of 15 minutes is definitely on the long side unless the evidence really merits it for a highly complex case. 5 minutes is nearer the norm. Secondly, the out of school activities are really not relevant unless they show academic ability.

Sally-Anne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

New Parent wrote:i was just going to take it in and put it on the table for them to see.
What evidence have you already submitted to the Clerk?
New Parent

Post by New Parent »

Hi Sally-Anne

We have already submitted:
1. the HT summary,
2. an a4 side outlining the reasons for the case (including academic evidence...how dc is performing at school and achievements)
3. KS1 results sheet
4. Letter of high achievement from KS1 head of year
5. School reports for Yr3, 4 and 5

That's all they have at the moment and I think it's too late to send anything else in as the appeal is on Thursday next week.

We have prepared a speech that lasts 4-5 mins. We are going to take with us:
1. Sat's results from recent mocks (either the actual tests or results on headed paper)
2. School books
3. List of books that dc has recently read/ is reading.

By the way, in the appeal back are the Ht recommendations as a whole.
I will pm them to you. I'm not sure whether I should mention them in the appeal.

Thankyou.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

New Parent wrote:We have already submitted:
1. the HT summary,
2. an a4 side outlining the reasons for the case (including academic evidence...how dc is performing at school and achievements)
3. KS1 results sheet
4. Letter of high achievement from KS1 head of year
5. School reports for Yr3, 4 and 5
Phew! I was a little worried there ...
That's all they have at the moment and I think it's too late to send anything else in as the appeal is on Thursday next week.
You can take small amounts of new evidence with you on the day. If you had a significant amount of new evidence you could try ringing the Appeals team to ask if they could get the evidence to the panel in time.
We have prepared a speech that lasts 4-5 mins. We are going to take with us:
1. Sat's results from recent mocks (either the actual tests or results on headed paper)
2. School books
3. List of books that dc has recently read/ is reading.
That is fine. If the mock SATs are on headed paper I suggest that you take 5 copies, one for each panel member. If it sis the actual tests, you an refer to the results in your presentation and say that you will hand them over at the end with the school books.
By the way, in the appeal back are the Ht recommendations as a whole.
I will pm them to you. I'm not sure whether I should mention them in the appeal.
That's OK. It will depend on how accurate they are as to whether you should draw more attention to them!