Partially Selective schools

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fatbananas

Partially Selective schools

Post by fatbananas »

Hello,

Can anyone tell me how DC get into the "grammar" stream of partially selective schools? Do they have to take tests in VR, NVR, maths and English? Or is it just SATS and headteacher report?

Any experience/ advice on this would be really appreciated :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
Reading Mum

Re: Partially Selective schools

Post by Reading Mum »

the only partially selective I have an knowledge of has a separate application form for the selective stream and tests NVR, VR & Maths.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I thought it meant that they could only select some of their pupils by academic selection and reserved a certain number of places for these children, and the rest were allocated by catchment in the usual way, but I may well have mis-understood! :roll:
scary mum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

You can find some information and links to partially selective and bilateral schools here http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... -selective" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks Mitasol, I've read through that section. I was just wondering how DC were selected to go into the grammar stream. Does the school do a test when DC get into the school, based on catchment area; or is simply based on SATs and a school report about suitability? And, if it is a test, what does the test involve?

lara228

Post by lara228 »

I think you will find that when you apply to partially selective/grammar schools you have to do it in two parts - firstly, by including the school on your Education Authority's application form, and secondly by filling in a supplementary information form which is only obtainable from the selective school(s) you are interested in. Primary schools should give out information about how to go about this, but it is best to approach the school(s) direct as they usually have different deadlines for applications which are strictly adhered to.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

If you apply for the grammar stream of a partially selective it's basically the same as applying for a grammar school. You'll have to apply for and sit the 11+ selection test (the supplementary form) and you'll have to apply for the selective stream on your CAF. If you want to apply for the non-selective stream as well, that will be a separate entry on the CAF.

Mike
tense

Post by tense »

My DC are at a partially selective school - the initial intake are chosen in exactly the way scary mum describes (same for all the ones in Herts). All the children at my DC's school - regardless of their route into the school - sit CAT tests about 6 months before starting year 7. The school use these to place the children in two broad bands. Formal setting begins in year 8.

I don't recognise the system Mike descibes, so I guess these schools must vary greatly - best to check the requirements of the ones you're interested in.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Thanks to everyone for taking the trouble to reply. I'm now slightly puzzled because I realise that our two local comprehensives are not classed as 'partially selective' though I know they both have a 'grammar' stream. Does anyone know why these schools aren't so-called partially selective?
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

Fatbananas,

Do your local schools admit some children partially based on ability or do they just stream them once they've been offered a place?

This may be the difference. For example we have a comprehensive that admits just on distance but when all the children have been offered a place they then have the opportunity to sit a test for "Fast track" which is a completely separate stream. They have about 60 fast track places out of 180 and everyone else is put in mixed ability groups. Importantly though, the admission criteria is not based on ability at all. Hence this school can't be called partially selective.

Other partially selective schools admit a certain number based on their ability - it is part of their admission criteria.

Hope that helps

:D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now