Will applying for a grammar school jeopodise our chances

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

janet71

Will applying for a grammar school jeopodise our chances

Post by janet71 »

My son is yr5 at present and I wish for him to apply to Ermysted next year - We are in the catchment area for Bingley Grammar (local comp) but someone told me if you apply to Ermysteds and put this as your 1st choice on the application then you could lose your place for your 2nd choice (Bingley Grammar) if they dont get in. We are under 8m from Ermysteds and I have read the previous yrs cut offs went to 10 & 11 miles in the last 2 yrs so as long as he passes the test he has a good chance. We are about 1.5m-2m from Bingley grammar and in the feeder school. Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing before or could someone clarify the selection process
thanks
hermanmunster

Re: Will applying for a grammar school jeopodise our chances

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Janet !

Welcome to the forum - just going to move you to the Yorkshire section then will answer the question - hold tight!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

My son is yr5 at present and I wish for him to apply to Ermysted next year
That is fine - remember exam is early September - usually taken in the Town Hall or School Hall. You get the result before you make your choices on the CAF
We are in the catchment area for Bingley Grammar (local comp) but someone told me if you apply to Ermysteds and put this as your 1st choice on the application then you could lose your place for your 2nd choice (Bingley Grammar) if they dont get in.
No not true - if you put EGS first and your son gets the score then he will get a place if there are enough, if he does not get the score or is too far away then his second place school (presumably Bingley) will be treated as though it was his first place school and if he is eligible to go there then he will get a place. None of the schools know where you have put them on the form or which other schools you have listed.
We are under 8m from Ermysteds and I have read the previous yrs cut offs went to 10 & 11 miles in the last 2 yrs so as long as he passes the test he has a good chance. We are about 1.5m-2m from Bingley grammar and in the feeder school. Has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing before or could someone clarify the selection process
thanks
Certainly 8 miles from EGS has been good in the past. Not sure though how you can manage to be 8m from EGS and 2m from Bingley? Always seem much further than that but then I'm not good at judging distance. :wink:

edit: just googled :oops: hadn't realised BGS is actually near Crossflatts and not far from Keighley - that would explain it
Further edit: 425 applicants 300 places 190 allocated within the priority area (Old Bingley UDC of 1974?)
108 allocated outside the priority area (furthest 2.82 miles)
Doesn't sound like there are feeder schools as such. Are you in the priority area?
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

hermanmunster wrote:
Doesn't sound like there are feeder schools as such. Are you in the priority area?
There aren't any feeder school per se, though if you live in the area most pupils would then progress onto the same high school. Which school is you DS at currently? Crossflatts? If so I want to pick your brains :D
Vic x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thanks for your replies - Yes my son is in Crossflatts Primary (Fluffy you are welcome to pick my brains if I can help)- when I say feeder school I mean Its the school everyone goes to as priority and Im ok with it as far as comps go but he is a bright boy and over a year above his level at present so want to push him to try but dont want him to jeopodise his chances of getting in to the local school as someone said this could happen and he ends up somewhere "not so good" but as its mentioned each school doesnt know then I am hoping he will do the exam and then know if he is able to get in - and looking on the postcode (I believe its directline distance) we are 7. something miles and so hoping he has a chance I live in BD20.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

janet71 wrote:Thanks for your replies - Yes my son is in Crossflatts Primary (Fluffy you are welcome to pick my brains if I can help)- when I say feeder school I mean Its the school everyone goes to as priority and Im ok with it as far as comps go but he is a bright boy and over a year above his level at present so want to push him to try but dont want him to jeopodise his chances of getting in to the local school as someone said this could happen and he ends up somewhere "not so good" but as its mentioned each school doesnt know then I am hoping he will do the exam and then know if he is able to get in - and looking on the postcode (I believe its directline distance) we are 7. something miles and so hoping he has a chance I live in BD20.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.
My son is in a Bingley school and in the same year as yours, if they both get in they are likely to be put in the same house so try and foster friendships with people that live closely which I think is lovely! I will send you a PM about Primary school as we also have a 4yo and she is starting primary in Sept.

You are luck that you live on that side of Bingley, we live down the other side and are 11 miles from EGS! :cry:

V x
Vic x