Still waiting for offer

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harlequin

Still waiting for offer

Post by harlequin »

Hi

Does anyone else have a DS or DD waiting for an offer from Durham Uni?

DD not heard anything more from then since we got an email acknowledging receipt of DD's application via UCAS.

We just want to know one way or the other. Are we wrong in hoping to get an offer from Durham as surely if they were going to refuse to make an offer, they would have informed us by now? Or am I completely wrong about this?

Any thoughts?

Harlequin
ourmaminhavana

Re: Still waiting for offer

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I think Durham are known for being quite late. Good luck!
Clare

Post by Clare »

Hi

Which subject Harlequin? Think it varies according to subject.

I know people who have had offers and rejections from Durham.

Perhaps to a search on student room and see if they are offering yet for that subject.

Good Luck
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Clare wrote:Hi

Which subject Harlequin? Think it varies according to subject.

I know people who have had offers and rejections from Durham.

Perhaps to a search on student room and see if they are offering yet for that subject.

Good Luck
Hi Clare

DD hoping to study Psychology.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

DD has already had three offers and one rejection so we have no option but to be patient and wait for the news!

Harlequin
another mother

Post by another mother »

DD finally got her Durham offer last week - and is still waiting on both Edinburgh and St Andrews - who often go till March (!). Luckily she has the offer that she really wants so we haven't been too miserable waiting - but it seems a very long time since she got her application in. I really feel for those who are still after their first choice and am sure there must be a better way of doing this!

The Student Room is quite reassuring in terms of finding out which courses were offering when.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

another mother wrote:DD finally got her Durham offer last week - and is still waiting on both Edinburgh and St Andrews - who often go till March (!). Luckily she has the offer that she really wants so we haven't been too miserable waiting - but it seems a very long time since she got her application in. I really feel for those who are still after their first choice and am sure there must be a better way of doing this!

The Student Room is quite reassuring in terms of finding out which courses were offering when.
Hi

Yes I agree that there must be a better way of dealing with this situation - it doesn't seem fair to keep students waiting when other Uni's have already made offers! My DD submitted her choices in October and we just want to know one way or the other so that we can get on with things such as sorting out accommodation, etc.

Can I ask what subject your DD will be studying at Durham?

We've got an offer from Glasgow which we may go for if DD doesn't get into our first choice Durham.

Best of luck to your DD.

Harlequin
another mother

Post by another mother »

Hi Harlequin

Ah, re-reading my post realise it's a bit ambivalent. What I meant was that DD already had two offers, one of which is really likely to be her first choice, so although she was thrilled to get Durham she's unlikely now to go there. She can't hold it for too long, as it's higher (A*AA) than the three As she's been asked for probable first choice.

Durham sent a really lovely letter - very warm and welcoming and it's a great uni. So really hope you hear soon and very best of luck.
Mind you Glasgow is great too!

AM
ps have pm'd you!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You have until May or so to choose a 'firm' and can only do so when all your Universities have replied.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Sorry to hear you are having to wait so long to hear from Durham harlequin. I am keeping everything crossed for your DD.