Nice primary school in Chelmer Village

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Nice primary school in Chelmer Village

Post by moved »

We have friends who are moving to Chelmer Village. Does anyone know what the primary schools are like?

They have to apply for a schools for their primary-aged son and their secondary-aged daughter. I am assuming that Boswells would be the best for her.
ahap

Re: Nice primary school in Chelmer Village

Post by ahap »

Boswells is one of the best Comp as well as Chelmer Valley. Primary schools are all good. Tyrells, Perryfields, The Bishops, Springfield Primary, Barnes Farm all seem to be good. Some of them outstanding according to Ofsted. Visiting these schools will help them decide.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
moved

Post by moved »

Thank you very much. I've looked at the Ofsted reports for them now. I think it will probably be the limit to the availability of places that will decide, but it is very nice to know that they are all good.
aang

Post by aang »

There is also Chancellor Park Primary School - depends where in Chelmer Valley you are referring to as being able to walk to a primary school avoids the stress of the school run and parking.

I wouldn't assume Boswells is best - there is plenty of choice as pupils can choose Sandon, Great Baddow, Moulsham, Chelmer Valley High School besides Boswells.
moved

Post by moved »

Thank you for your help. They are going to look on Monday if they can and then fill out the forms. Hoping to have places for after half-term.
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

From memory the Chelmer Village/Chancellor Park estates are not included in the Boswells priority admissions area. I think the boundary line is the Chelmer Rd. Although of course some students do live there but perhaps having moved house after gaining a place? I think Moulsham High school takes some students from CV but it's a long walk & follows a very busy road so you frequently see people cycling on the narrow footpath because of this. I've no idea if a bus is provided now but was many years ago. The local primaries will be able to say which secondaries their students move onto but it may be a good idea to ring Essex CC education dept & ask. The Sandon school is currently consulting on its priority admissions policy which will see preference given to those from feeder primary schools which are in the Danbury/Bicknacre area. Full details are on the schools website.
Clarabelle
KM

Post by KM »

My dd (now in Y10) went to Barnes Farm as does my son who is currently in Y6 there. We have been pleased with the schools (both infants and juniors). They have always achieved outsatnding on their ofsted over the years we have been involved with the schools. We moved out of Chelmsford over a year ago and I am putting up with lots of driving in order to keep ds there till he finishes Y6!
Clarabelle

Post by Clarabelle »

Just had a look on the Essex CC website, it seems that CV is covered by the priority admissions area for Hylands school in Chelmsford. There is a map to show each schools PAA.
Clarabelle
KM

Post by KM »

You are right Clarabelle that Chelmer Village is in the catchment area for Hylands but in practise the children go to a mixture of schools including Boswells, Baddow, Sandon and of course, the grammar schools.
moved

Post by moved »

:) Thanks to everyone. :)

My friends are now in the hands of Essex CC. They have filled out the forms, visited schools and now await the decision of those in charge.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now