"Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

kentmum2011

"Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Post by kentmum2011 »

Following some feedback from my daughter's current primary school we have decided to go ahead with a grammar school appeal. I have just checked the GS's website that we'll be appealing to and they have stated that, it would appear there are fewer Kent Test passes this year... if your daughter narrowly missed acheiving a pass you are encouraged to appeal as there is a reasonable chance of success.

My daughter's scores were 114 VR, 129 VR and 123 Maths. Any ideas if this would be seen as 'narrowly missing a pass'? I'm thinking not but a little glimmer of hope would be nice!

Thanks.
Last edited by kentmum2011 on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muggle

Re: "Narrowly missed acheiving a pass"

Post by Muggle »

I'm no expert, but if the Grammar School have placed the message on their website they must need more applicants for September. Your DD passed Maths and NVR, so I imagine you would have a good chance at appeal. It must be worth a try!

GOOD LUCK.
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Oh yes, definitely worth a try. I can't believe how my opinion of the whole thing has changed over the last two years!!

Thanks for you reply.
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

How do you mean Kentmum? How has your opinion changed?
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

I'll try to keep it short (there's a bit more background to our story in my thread in the appeals section). I originally felt children should pass the 11+ under their own steam without tutoring, etc, and if they don't pass they're obviously not suitable for grammar school and we wouldn't have considered an appeal.

A year ago my daughter was classed as working at an average level and we entered her for the 11+ at her request. She told us how many of her friends were having tutoring, and whilst I didn't want to go down this route I did purchase a few practice bonds/one practice paper and gave her a bit of informal tutoring myself. She surprised us and her schoolwork rapidly started to improve, particularly in maths, which obviously reflects in her NVR and maths results, which we really pleased with. I still didn't think about an appeal till the school contacted me and said they'd support it if she continued such rapid progress and brought her literacy level up the required level. Now that the option is there in front of us it's so hard to say no and then be left knowing 'what if' so we are going for an appeal.

I will also admit that when it comes time for my son to take the 11+ there will definitely be a bit more practice going on at home!
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Kentmum, that's such a heartening story! I have friends who moved to Kent two years' ago. They told me that it was the norm to have tutoring, formal or diy, so your daughter's progress, with a bit of extra work, is a great achievement!

Best of luck with your appeal! :D
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
scaredkentmum

Post by scaredkentmum »

kentmum2011 wrote: I have just checked the GS's website that we'll be appealing to and they have stated that, it would appear there are fewer Kent Test passes this year... if your daughter narrowly missed achieving a pass you are encouraged to appeal as there is a reasonable chance of success.
Wow! I had no idea that that was the situation, can I ask which part of Kent you are in? Sounds like she is very near a pass, surely with that mark she is only one or two questions off the pass mark.

If have just checked all my local GSs and they all mention over subscription :( , so if anyone finds a boys GS with a similar statement please do let us all know!

My youngest (4 years away from 11plus thank goodness) sounds just like your DD, my friends all tell me "dont worry he will catch up eventually" so its lovely to hear that your DD have caught up and overtaken, there is hope :-)

Good luck!
kentmum2011

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks fatbananas, we're really proud of her and how much she's achieved this year and just hope she continues her hard work whatever school she ends up in!

Scaredkentmum, I was certainly surprised when I read that on the school's website too. We are in Ashford. I'd been told the Folkestone schools are quite often undersubscribed and my daughter's school recommended putting FSG on our CAF as she'd have more of a chance there but she was really against travelling. We do have a good local high school which she preferred over a train/bus journey.
marplegarrett

Re: "Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Post by marplegarrett »

an appeal is always worth it ! what do you have to lose? I live in Ashford too and we were told the same about Folkestone and put it down as 3rd choice.
Good Luck x
kentmum2011

Re: "Narrowly missed achieving a pass"

Post by kentmum2011 »

Thanks marplegarrett. We're waiting to hear back from her school as to whether they're going to support an appeal or not. From what DD says she's predicted level 5s for maths and science but only level 4 for literacy, so not sure whether this is enough.

I've been in touch with the GS we would be appealing to and the admissions officer there was really helpful and encouraging, they're significantly underscribed this year, but I guess without those letters of support from the primary school we won't get very far :(

Hope you get the school you're after today, if it's HSG then the figures look promising! Not sure about NKSB though.