Bursary / Assisted Place Result - Is this normal Practice?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
browneyedgirl

Bursary / Assisted Place Result - Is this normal Practice?

Post by browneyedgirl »

Deleted
Last edited by browneyedgirl on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loo1965

Re: Bursary / Assisted Place Result - Is this normal Practic

Post by loo1965 »

Hi
Sorry to hear your predicament but we too are in the same situation and I posted here a few days ago about it!!!!!
I have no words of wisdom but we were led to believe that our request would be supported ( or maybe that's we read into it). My DS is devastated but we were told there was not enough funds to go around

Good luck to you and hope your DD gets sorted

Loo
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi browneyedgirl

I am really sorry to hear about your experience. I am not sure at all that it is standard practice - I certainly hope it is not . I would be very upset over that happening - my experience with indies is that they tended to write about financial matters eg bursaries / fee increases :roll: / extras rather than discuss them face to face and I think that would have been fairer in this case, particularly with your DD outside.

I think that sometimes when parents have been paying fees all along the school can assume that you will continue to do so in the same way - it may be that they have heard lots of stories of financial woes and can't help them all or feel they need more evidence of the financial problems (did they ask????)

Personally I would wonder if I wanted a child to stay there after they behaved like that, I can remember a teacher who used to comment to us (unfavourably) about another child - by name- in DD's class - I was stunned by this, it happened more than once and I hope the child's parents never knew, though i suspect we weren't the only ones the comments were made to. DD was nearing the end of the time there but it would have given me concerns about her staying.
wyndales

Post by wyndales »

OMG! That's awful and I agree with the previous post, would you want your DD to stay at a school with such underhand practices??
The two indies we have applied to give preference to existing pupils regardless of where they are in their school, over and above new pupils. I would have thought this was common practice?
Did they even discuss partial fees rather than 100% bursary? Surely they could offer some sort of assistance?

We were offered a bursary before DD even took the exam so that we knew whether we could afford it before putting her through it!

I hope you can reach some sort of compromise with them and good luck.
lara228

Post by lara228 »

Sounds like really shabby behaviour on the part of the school. I've been led to believe that if your circumstances change whilst your child is at school the school will usually be as accommodating as possible to keep the child - this is all part of the 'deal' independent schools have agreed to in order to keep their very beneficial charitable status. If you want your child to remain at the school, I would definitely try to take this further - to the Governors?
browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl »

Deleted
Last edited by browneyedgirl on Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
browneyedgirl

Post by browneyedgirl »

sorry that was Loo1965 x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now