Consultation to change current admission criteria to SHSB

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nini

Consultation to change current admission criteria to SHSB

Post by nini »

Is seems that it is no longer possible to give preference to the children who attend a Southend primary school and the proposed changes will include children who live in Wakering, Rochford, Hockley, Hullbridge, Rayleigh, Canvey Island, Hadleigh and Benfleet.
It seems that a lot of changes are happening at the Essex Grammar Schools at very short notice. I feel sorry for the parents of Y5 children! :(
tami

Re: Consultation to change current admission criteria to SHS

Post by tami »

Yes DS brought home school bulletin copied extract onto KEGs proposed changes thread.
Tami
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

This could put a spanner in the works for some who ferry into prep schools from afar. Boundary changes will probably help most?
Manana

Post by Manana »

nini wrote:Is seems that it is no longer possible to give preference to the children who attend a Southend primary school and the proposed changes will include children who live in Wakering, Rochford, Hockley, Hullbridge, Rayleigh, Canvey Island, Hadleigh and Benfleet.
It seems that a lot of changes are happening at the Essex Grammar Schools at very short notice. I feel sorry for the parents of Y5 children! :(
Is this the same info as this headline

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/9515590 ... _shake_up/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or is this something new. There are no details, so I don't really understand it? Has anyone heard anything more? I really wish DS wasn't in this year's Y5!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Does anyone have a link to any more information on this? Is it saying that SH and WH are no longer 'reserving' a certain numer of places for those who attend a Southend Primary School?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

For admissions policies and consultations you need to check the school websites. I found the following consultation
http://www.shsb.org.uk/newsroom/Finalco ... uments.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Manana

Post by Manana »

mitasol wrote:For admissions policies and consultations you need to check the school websites. I found the following consultation
http://www.shsb.org.uk/newsroom/Finalco ... uments.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you for that, I've had a read.

I feel a bit despondent about all of the changes this year, to be honest. I see that the 4 heads of the grammars don't think this will change much, but living in Southend where our alternatives to the grammars are pretty dire-having priority places was such a relief. Those schools out in Hockley, Rayleigh etc have some much better alternative catchments, so to have those PLUS priority for the grammars seems unfair. Our catchment school had 14% of children get 5 A-Cs at GCSE last year; that's our alternative :(

I expect those living in the new priority area feel very differently to me though!
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

I have two sons who attend SHSB from out of borough. We love the school and feel so blessed that our sons got places. We were made aware of these changes in our parent bulletin and I must say it made by stomach churn. I really do feel for all of you with children in year 5 at the moment. The changes to the admissions criteria seem to be coming thick and fast. It does seem unfair to me that they aim to implement these changes so quickly.
kaynor

Post by kaynor »

ii) A further objection may arise from the secondary schools in the extended postcode
area which are comprehensive in their intake. However, they have been dealing with
‘cross-border traffic‘ entering the selective system for many years and we do not anticipate
any significant increase in the loss of the most able pupils from their school.

What a load of twaddle :roll: I bet they are furious!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Can anyone hazard a guess how this might affect marks required to get in to the Southend grammar schools?

If it was about 65% to get into SHSB out of catchment and about 56% for in-catchment-will these (albeit approximate) figures change substantially?