Why would you choose St Alban's over Habs

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Waiting_For_Godot

Why would you choose St Alban's over Habs

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Im not trying to be controversial as I'm looking at St Alban's School but not Habs because I don't think DS would get in to Habs. Annoyingly it's about one mile from where I live but that's life!

So looking briefly at both schools it seems that Habs is more academic, has more space and it's sports field is not in another location. So why choose St Alban's then? What are the positives that make it a better choice than Habs?
vas

Re: Why would you choose St Alban's over Habs

Post by vas »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:because I don't think DS would get in to Habs
Why would you conclude so? I don't know anything about St Albans, but why not apply to both. I certainly don't think that every boy is a maths genius at Habs; but what I do notice is that every boy has some talent. Don't we all for that matter.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

If you live around there, WFG, what about Merchant Taylors’?
Waiting_For_Godot

I don't think he'd get into MTS either! I've looked at the papers and he hasn't even been taught half of the maths stuff. I also don't have time for him to sit multiple late entrance tests so we've opted for St A's.
la boume

Post by la boume »

WFG, do you mean 11+ or 13 + entry? I thought your DS just settled in his new school?
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I don't think he'd get into MTS either!
Oh they let any old riff-raff in there :lol:

Is this the DS who’s currently at Purcell’s? They have music scholarships at MTS (I’m not thinking of this from a financial point of view, but a talent one). Or Clement Danes? I have a friend there whose DDs are brilliant musicians and are very happy with it…
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Because it suits your child more. To use a cliche, the gut feeling of what's best for your child, not Joe Bloggs Jnr.
Katyscarlett

Post by Katyscarlett »

Hi there, we chose St Alban's over Habs (and indeed QEB) because we, and our son, just felt he would be much happier there. That gut feeling I suppose.

He is year 2 (year 8) now and absolutely adores it and we have never regretted the decision.

Academically the standards are very high (DH and I are both Oxbridge graduates so we have pretty high standards in that regard) and DS is thriving in a school where it is "cool to be clever". We all adore the situation of the school which is beautiful. We appreciate the proximity to the Abbey and the Monday and Friday attendance by the boys, which even DS enjoys as it gives him a quiet time to think in the peace of the Abbey. The music is beautiful, as any parent will testify, who has been to the school carol service.

The sports facilities are fantastic, yes a short drive away but worth it - have you seen Woollams? Amazing!

Our son who is sporty and not at all into drama etc is now attending drama club which I think is great, it has really encouraged his public speaking (his drama teacher is an old boy too).

The teaching is excellent and some inspirational. As you see I could go on and on and on...Perhaps I should change my name to StAlbansGroupie!!

In fact I can't understand what the obsession with Habs is on here, it just didn't do it for us.
maddad

Post by maddad »

Maybe...
  • because of its central city location (I'm sure the older boys appreciate having something other than fields within a two mile radius). We used to live within 200m of the school and were always very impressed with the well mannered young men we saw walking around at lunchtime.
  • because it's not quite so academic as Habs, so it might suit children more who aren't the best of the best academically. Some children may do better as an "average" child at St Albans rather than bottom of the class at Habs.
  • because of the good impression the head and teachers make at the open day (the head spent a long time mingling with parents over coffee and tea, happy to chat with anyone).
I'm not saying one is better than the other (we've applied to both and certainly haven't made our mind up yet), but both schools have their plus points. IMHO, there is no clear winner (they're both excellent schools :) ).
Waiting_For_Godot

Well he sat the test and probably has no chance of getting in because he was probably the only untutored boy that sat it. He said he hadn't even covered most of the maths curriculum and hes never seen an 11+ test before. Still, the staff were all delightful. He won't sit for anywhere else that is selective.

What size is the acceptance/rejection letters? :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now