Scholarship/bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snips

Scholarship/bursary

Post by Snips »

Hey all

My DS has been offered a scholarship and we are incredibly proud of him. However, we have only been offered half the fees. I appreciate they have looked at our circumstances and come to this decision, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience of calling the bursar to see if they could increase the amount. Our other options are grammar schools, but it is such a shame as this school would really suit DS :( . If this is a no go please say. Naive mum!
hermanmunster

Re: Scholarship/bursary

Post by hermanmunster »

50% is pretty good for a scholarship! Most of the are 10-20%.

However they can be topped up with bursaries which are means tested - depends how much the school can offer - some are better off than others. if you feel you want to discuss a bursary (if you haven't already) then best to contact the school bursar
Snips

Post by Snips »

It is a means tested scholarship.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hmm tricky - I think that quite a lot of people who get bursaries / means tested scholarships feel that they could have done with a bit more.
The amounts that people are expected to pay towards the fees often feel to be quite a bit beyond what you can comfortably afford.
If you feel that you can;t afford the place without more help then you can contact the bursar and discuss it - they may have a scale that they can show you or explain what is taken into account.
Snips

Post by Snips »

Thank you for your help. Will think it through with DH and then perhaps call them next week.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Definitely best to have a think! Also - when do they want to know by?

They really shouldn't push you to decide before you get the allocations on March 1st. Might be worth waiting until then to see what the options are.
Snips

Post by Snips »

We got a call today and they need to know by 12noon on 2nd March! However I was asked to let them know as soon as possible so that they can offer it to someone else if we don't want it. We do want it, but we just need a bit more! I think they liked DS and would like him at the school, but I appreciate that if we are in a better financial state to others that applied for a means tested scholarship, we will be further down the list. I am just not sure whether calling them will do any good? Guess it can't do any harm.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No nothing to lose - they won't take the current offer away!
Snips

Post by Snips »

Will let you know how we get on. Thank you again for your advice.