Non-fiction ideas

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Non-fiction ideas

Post by mystery »

I'm trying to encourage some non-fiction reading in the Mystery household. The local library has the most minute children's section, and the school library stuff is mostly a bit too unapproachable. So I've just spent a fortune online on some OUP treetops non-fiction titles.

Can anyone recommend a children's encylopaedia that a nearly 8 year old would enjoy dipping into ------- her independent reading level which she enjoys reading at is things like Enid Blyton Naughtiest Girl in the School series, Roald Dahl Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I want clear illustrations and not too much text - something where you can learn some new facts without having to wade through tonnes of stuff. I don't want something where she just looks at the pictures though!! I thought the Guiness Book of Records would be good but she just goes through it looking for the most startling or revolting photos and the text gets untouched.
DenDe

Re: Non-fiction ideas

Post by DenDe »

I have a nearly 8 year old girl. I bought her a subscription to Kids National Geographic for Christmas and she absolutely loves it. It's full of fascinating facts and great illustrations
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We have the Usborne childrens encyclopedia and hundreds of other non fiction books ...I bought most of mine from The Book People. DD is reading a whole set at the moment called " The Danger Zone "...various books about the fire of London , living in Pompeii , a medieval castle , explorations with Captain Cook and so on.

You could always put a big sticker over the pictures. :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

Those Danger Zone books look great but they are out of stock for the collection and not likely to get them back in. Any other suggestions pelase?
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Agree that Kids NG mag is brilliant. First News is good, if she'd like to be grown up and read a paper.
Dorling Kindersley also do lovely encyclopaedias, lots of pics. Usbornes have a superb range of non fiction books - take your pic of what interests her - nature, space, geography, animals.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My DD has had the NG kids Infopedia for Christmas the last 2 years - she really likes it - loves the magazine too- has had it since she was 8 and still enjoying it at almost 11. Horrible histories, science and geography are brilliant -dd has had the set since she was 7 (from scholastic books ) but still picks them up and reads them." Stuff that scares your pants off "and other books from the Science Museum.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Does Britannia Encyclopedia still exist? I loved it as a kid.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Dorling Kindersley and Usborne do some really good non fiction and encyclopaedias.

Mine loved The Way Things Work by David Macaulay. (which is DK)
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Whitaker's World of Facts is marvellous.

I also recommend the Usborne True Stories series and Horrible Histories.