Ex Grammar School Parents!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
reeyah

Ex Grammar School Parents!

Post by reeyah »

I noticed Hermanmunster went to KES? I went to Sutton Girls.

Any other parents on here who are ex-Grammar/KES?

I am sure things were very simple for our parents 'back in them days' while they were waiting for our results.. No Internet, no forum.. In fact I reckon my parents didn't even think about when the results would come out ;-).

Would be interesting to know your stories, even if you didn't get through and survived the ordeal! Personally I failed the 11+ but got a chance again the following year and took the 12+. Shame that chance has gone for our DCs!
khanj010

Re: Ex Grammar School Parents!

Post by khanj010 »

hi reeyah i also went to a gs school taking the 12 + but why has your ds not got a 2nd chance as the sats are in May, she may get level 5 s which then can give her second go at the 12+.
And in regarrds to gs school , our perants did not know about the 11+ and how important it was to get into these schools, well its a good job we do !
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

khanj010 wrote:hi reeyah i also went to a gs school taking the 12 + but why has your ds not got a 2nd chance as the sats are in May, she may get level 5 s which then can give her second go at the 12+.
And in regarrds to gs school , our perants did not know about the 11+ and how important it was to get into these schools, well its a good job we do !
We don't have the 12+ anymore ? SG and BV had entry at year 7 then.. Now our DCs can only have another chance if odd places come up, which is highly unlikely..What school did u go to? ( I'm v nosey!!)
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

I went to the aylesbury girls high, although i was the only asian girl there i felt out of place there. I then decided to move to a upper school as i was not happy there , it was not because of the demanding school work but the attitude i got from the other girls. Any way i accelerated in the upper school and made great friends, which makes alot of diffrence. it was the Best decision i made!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

reeyah wrote:I noticed Hermanmunster went to KES? !

:wink: They wouldn't let me into KES (well not into lessons anyway :oops: ) ... only the girls school next door !
marma

Post by marma »

Hi I am ex Handsworth Edwardian !! My parents just asked me and my sister to sit an EXAM and then I am sure we all totally forgot about it .. No tuitions , no stress, no impatient wait and hey presto my dad woke up one day to the news that I had a place at KE Handsworth ! Aww the look on my dad's face was priceless !!! Best education but very fast pace , something I was not used to at our local primary ... And going from being the top
Student to fairly ' average ' was not a nice feeling to start off with either !
So from first hand experience I can def tell u both pros and cons of GS ..
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

marma wrote:Hi I am ex Handsworth Edwardian !! My parents just asked me and my sister to sit an EXAM and then I am sure we all totally forgot about it .. No tuitions , no stress, no impatient wait and hey presto my dad woke up one day to the news that I had a place at KE Handsworth ! Aww the look on my dad's face was priceless !!! Best education but very fast pace , something I was not used to at our local primary ... And going from being the top
Student to fairly ' average ' was not a nice feeling to start off with either !
So from first hand experience I can def tell u both pros and cons of GS ..
That's fab Marma! I went to the Sixth Form there too!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I went to girl's grammar in Loughton, Essex but it's gone now. I had no idea about the exam at the time. My Mum went to Henrietta Barnet - she remembers doing an interview and reading for a scholarship.
marma

Post by marma »

That's fab Marma! I went to the Sixth Form there too![/quote]
Ok !! So u experienced Sutton girls as well as Handsworth?!! Both of those are my choices for my DD .. Fingers crossed , I hope she can make it to one of them ! Went to Handsworth with my daughter for the open day .. It was a very emotional trip down memory lane .. Esp having left there at the age if 18 and returning with hubby and 10 year old daughter ! Nothing seemed to have changed :shock: even the head was the same !
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I went to a girls' indie with an 11+ entrance test that there now appears to be lots of sweating about on the independent school section of the forum - NLCS. I took it a year early. 'For practice' is what my parents claim when I ask why I ended up missing a year of primary education. I got in! No tutoring, no fancy prep school. Those were the days, eh? Low parental sweat. Apart from the fees, tho'. Obvs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now