Kent Test September 2012 Takers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Kent Test September 2012 Takers

Post by doodles »

Am now getting a bit jumpy as it is THIS year. Until the New Year I could convince myself it wasn't too soon but now......

How's everybody's preparation going? We certainly need to get into some kind of routine.
scarlett

Re: Kent Test September 2012 Takers

Post by scarlett »

Hi Doodles :D I think we are letting the side down here in Kent..we need to start up a bit of camaraderie in our section !

I'm having problems convincing my DS the prep isn't the most boring thing in the world and that there are better things to be doing. Plus , like you Doodles , there's an older brother already at Grammar to add to the pressure !
I'm imagining what I'm going to put on here on results day already ( and it's not good :( must pull myself together )

I'd like to know how much work everyone is doing at this point ? I'm going through those Bond " How To Do " books for the maths, NVR /VR and then working through each section. He will do those 10 minute tests but is freaking out at the longer papers. Perhaps I'll split them up . He'll only accept 2 days a week at the moment too . :?
penguin

Post by penguin »

Hi

have a DD who will be sitting it this year. some days are better than others (meaning that on some days she does nothing and and others will work on something for 40-50 mins which is great). She is working through Bond papers with a focus on maths. VR is a strength as are some types of NVR (on some days)

re.the gaps that her efforts at the bond papers reveal, I ask how far she got up to in the question - where she got stuck - what she might need to do next and for these weaker areas I set her some questions to practice at and we do these breakout sessions together.

at the moment multilink cubes are my friend. I use them for all sorts of things. It has already improved her visualisation of nets and 3D shapes.

I also do not have an established routine yet mostly due to a nearly 4 year old DS who likes to run around hollering rather a lot.
I mean there's not much structure to it. there is a target of a set no. of papers/worksheets a week and and also a reward system to which rewards positively the more answers she gets right. We're filling pretty pebbles/crystals in a jar and when the jar is full, within reason, she has a big treat. 3 crystals are rewarded for 100% 2 crystals for up to 2 answers wrong and 1 for up to 4 answers wrong.

I like reading advice on the forum, it saves my sanity at times
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Hi doodles, scarlett and penguin :)

DS will also be sitting Kent in Sept 2012 though we're OOC. It dawned on me the other day that there's only a term and half left at school before they sit the tests :shock:

DS goes to a tutor once a week but she's going to be out of action for a while (health issues). In a way, it will be nice to have a bit more control but whether he'll do the work for me is another matter (he's currently pretending he's stuck to the sofa to avoid doing his work).

We're also sitting Bexley and StOlave's and it looks like all three will be in the space of 6 days :shock: I suppose everyone will be in the same boat!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm looking for the secret camera located in my house. Or are you telepathic? As I write, DS 2 is doing some 11+ stuff, and moaning like anything. He does do it, eventually, but moans like mad. I know I should be stricter, and got him to do it this morning (as planned) rather than him going to play around a friends.

I know DS could pass the 11+ is he applied himself, but he's not so naturally studious like his elder brother. DS2 would rather be doing something else.

1 and 1/2 terms left is too scary. This time next year year will be worrying about secondary allocations. It seems so far away.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Hi all. After seeing my 3 other children go through various routes to secondary school (all different schools!) we made a decision 6 months ago not to tutor my year 5 DS for this years exam. :shock:
DS says he wants to take the exam so I guess we are in a stage of 'what will be will be'.
The whole thing terrifies me - of course Id love him to go to grammar school like his brothers but realise in these times, most children are practising and realistically, as an average child this may not be enough.
Anyway, wanted to share this with you all.....will still be with you over the next 8 months agonising all the way!! The forum has been such a support over the years and Im sure will be again :?
Victoriapoggins

Post by Victoriapoggins »

Hi Everyone,

My DD will be sitting Kent & Bexley tests this year. It's all rather terrifying & I battle sometimes to stop myself from obsessing & logging into this forum every day!

DD goes to state primary in Greenwich & has been seeing a private tutor for Eleven + prep for 10 months now. She is naturally strong in the areas of literacy (G&T) and is flying with NVR. The major area of concern is maths where she is having a massive crisis of confidence.

She has been put back a group in maths at school & this has really knocked her. My husband & I are creative professionals & neither of us are particularly strong on maths, myself especially & I struggle to even keep up with her at this level, so I've concluded that my own lack of confidence is not helping her. Instead we are going to increase time with tutor to get extra maths sessions.

Right now, she does an hour's session weekly with tutor with approx 2 hours homework on top from the Bond Books. I feel this is enough, with school homework to. Any more than this & I think would create conflict and just to much - I'm keen she has some space left for her childhood and imagination.

I am thinking about doing some tuition myself for maths. It seriously terrifies me - I look at the page & my head starts to swim!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Sorry to butt into a Kent thread but...
battle sometimes to stop myself from obsessing & logging into this forum every day!
Why would you do that? Just give in like the rest of us :lol: :lol:
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

pheasantchick wrote:1 and 1/2 terms left is too scary.
Did you have to say that - just a bit to blunt and factual for my sensitive disposition this morning :lol: :lol: :lol:

DS is OK at Maths and VR which is not a surprise as this has always been his leaning but I am becoming very aware how much better his older brother was at verbal/comprehension. I know you mustn't compare children and to be honest DS1 found maths more challenging but I must make the effort to get the scrabble etc out.

He is going to a tutor for 1 hour per week and she does set homework so at least he has somebody working through things with him in a logical manner.

Does anybody know the date of the exam yet - sat as an in county candidate - or when we have to register?

Good luck everybody and I am sure that we will all be able to support each other in the wee small hours of panic!
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

tonbridgemum wrote:we made a decision 6 months ago not to tutor my year 5 DS for this years exam.
Hi tonbridgemum

Just curious to know why you've decided not to tutor DS?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now