Magdalen College School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JaneEyre

Magdalen College School

Post by JaneEyre »

I know there is no 11+ in Oxfordshire, maybe that’s the reason why nobody posted about Magdalen College School in Oxford. But maybe some parents of children at that school are lurking on this forum?

May I ask what they think about that school which has already been nominated twice ‘independent school of the year’ by the Sunday Times? Is this ranking well known or the FT is a better measurement? There are so many ranking that it is really confusing... :?
UmSusu

Re: Magdalen College School

Post by UmSusu »

Hello JaneEyre,

Sorry I can't provide any info but your post looked lonely :( so I thought I would I would pop over to this side and say hello (and hopefully push it back up to the top of the list so that it might get answered).

Btw, thanks for the suggestion: we will go to the thinktank tomorrow as haven't been for a while
UmSusu
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

MCS is a wonderful school. My son is thriving there. very academic, traditional curriculum. Emphasis on extracurricular development of child too. I highly recommend.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

UmSusu wrote:Hello JaneEyre,
Sorry I can't provide any info but your post looked lonely :( so I thought I would I would pop over to this side and say hello (and hopefully push it back up to the top of the list so that it might get answered).
Hi Umsusu,

Awwwww! thanks for your nice trick!!! See!!! I've got an answer!!!!! :D :D :D
Yummiemummie wrote:MCS is a wonderful school. My son is thriving there. very academic, traditional curriculum. Emphasis on extracurricular development of child too. I highly recommend.
Hi Yummiemummie,

I am very glad to see that some people with sons at MCS are also on this forum! :D

How good is the pastoral care?
With 39% of students going to Oxbridge, one may ask himself how the pupils manage to have many extra-curricular activites, thought the list of clubs is absolutely amazing! Has your DS much time to join many of them?
May I ask in which year to your DS is? Did you always feel he was/is properly guided to improve his essay writing?

Thanks in advance! :wink:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Don't have a son at MCS but it would definitely be my day school of choice for DS1. Great results, down to earth kids and great value for money. They have tons of extra curric and amazing trips.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thank you for your input WFG! You made me laught by saying it is good value for money! I do not know the price of other famous indies, but for us, 13k to 14k a year is not cheap!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

That is quite a normal fee even for a not famous indie
poiuyt

Post by poiuyt »

that fee is just for the basics I assume, extras on top and don't forget how much more holiday indie students enjoy, must get tiring taking the cash laden barrow down to the local bank for the staff... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: bless
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Reading Mum wrote:That is quite a normal fee even for a not famous indie
In Birmingham, fees for private schools are rather around 10 k a year, more htan three times what we pay for our DD at university... Thats why 13k seems rather high on the scale rom our viewpoint! But I agree, the school seems just fab!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Did I say cheap? I meant to say great value for money, which of course is two totally different things!