Nhs student bursaries- for medicine

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
layla22

Nhs student bursaries- for medicine

Post by layla22 »

Can anyone give me an idea as to what is available in terms of bursaries/student finance etc for DD who is planning to do medicine in 2 years time please?
We have been on the NHS Bus.Ser.Authority website and we still can't get to grips with it. Any information warmly received please.
Thank you
hermanmunster

Re: Nhs student bursaries- for medicine

Post by hermanmunster »

layla22 wrote:Can anyone give me an idea as to what is available in terms of bursaries/student finance etc for DD who is planning to do medicine in 2 years time please?
We have been on the NHS Bus.Ser.Authority website and we still can't get to grips with it. Any information warmly received please.
Thank you
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/de ... spx?id=557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think this still stands - pay fees and get loan for first 4 years and then NHS pay years 5 (and 6 if done) + means tested bursary.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just out of interest, Hermann - do you know how they "means-test" a 5th year student? Might the student be considered independent by that stage (they will be aged around 22/23 and could well have moved away from home permanently) or do they still go back to parents' income?

Just wondering...
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

no they aren't independent until they are 90 and lving with both parents :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously though there are some crtiteria - and they are dependent on you rather long than is reasonable I think. Only answer is for them to adopt their sibling, get married, be disowned by the parents or the parents to disappear abroad....

http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/Docum ... /FAQ_7.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

hermanmunster wrote:no they aren't independent until they are 90 and lving with both parents :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks for finding that - sometimes I think our kids would be better off if we disowned them... :roll: :lol:

Edited to add - in the light of that information, and if similar principles apply for bursaries for other courses, I think DD1 would prefer the option of adopting a sibling to either getting married or becoming estranged from us! :roll:
Marylou
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Thank you very much for that.
So I think I have concluded that a bursary is out of the question for us.
I've been on the Directgov. website to look into maintenance loans and as I understand it all full students are entitled to some money.
If you do not want your parents income to be assessed you will be entitled to 65% of the max. loan amount.
Am I reading this correctly?

many thanks

layla22
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yes I think that is the max loan available if not looking at parents income (ie usually if it is above limit for any higher loan) - however worth applying for the bursary in the latter years because it will still cover the 9k fees.
layla22

Post by layla22 »

Thanks hermanmunster. I appreciate the reply.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now