Tiffin - top ??? gets you an offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mynameisbond

Tiffin - top ??? gets you an offer

Post by mynameisbond »

Any conjecture (or indeed hard facts!)welcome on this topic - with 140 places on offer what do you think the lowest actual rank order place would get you in ? Obviously every year some top performers will go to other grammars/independents and some may have used the test as a practice.

Anyone prepared to hazard a guess ?
laretta

Re: Tiffin - top ??? gets you an offer

Post by laretta »

Hi,
I've copied the address for a previous thread about this. The first page includes the information you are seeking.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... fin+cutoff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mynameisbond

Post by mynameisbond »

Thanks laretta but this seems to show what marks would get you into the top 140.

My question was slightly different as I am referring to Tiffin boys and am wondering in pure rank order of results, what might get you in ? For example, if your son scored the 250th best standardised score would he get in ? I know this will vary year on year,but am considering the fact that not everyone applying will have Tiffin as their first choice etc.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Unless School tells the rank of the last admitted boy, no one could tell. According to Piers, 300 to 400 pass the test (??), if first 200 ( :lol: ) have other schools as first preference, then number 340 would get in.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

At Tiffin School 26 boys were offered a place on the waiting list last year.

http://www.kingston.gov.uk/secbook2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the booklet says 143 original offers so you would have to be in the top 169.

However, we do not know how many boys scored over the cut off but didn't list it as first choice.

Its a guess between 169 and 400. If I was going to guess I would say top 200 is required.

Why don't you try asking the school under the Freedom of Information Act?
laretta

Post by laretta »

l
Last edited by laretta on Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Hi

The mathematical equation required was in the thread I posted and is below. In order to work it out you need the no of boys sitting and the cut off score, therefore most recent available is 2010 test as 2011 test offers are yet to come out.

on national offer day 228 was lowest score.

228 % 2 = 114 standardised score - according to the NFER table this is on the 82nd percentile. 18 X 1170 (no of boys who sat test in 2010) / 100 = 210.6 Rank score therefore we can assume that around 70 boys had other first preference schools.

So far this year we only have the no of boys sitting which is 1685 for 2011 - many more than the 1170 the previous year. If we assume that the same no of boys will have higher preference schools ( which really is anyones guess) the rank order place would not change but the required mark would go up by quite a bit.

12.5 x 1685 / 100 = 210.6 rank score but the percentile has gone up from top 18% to top 12.5% standardised score of approximately 117.25 x 2 = 234.5 score

Of course these are all statistical guestimates ( is that even a word?) and the no of boys having other first pref schools could be vastly different from last year - especially if many of the extra 500 boys sitting the test are from far away - they may have a closer school as 1st pref and be using the long travel option as a last resort back up.

I am not a mathematician - any more mathematically minded people out there, please feel free to correct my figures.

Thanks.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

The more I see these tables and computations, more I appreciate the pressure our children go through. What a level of competition!!!
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
laretta

Post by laretta »

Tiffin boys

Yes, you are quite right. The level one needs to achieve just to get a good education, which should be available for every dc. Frightening.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Tiffin Boys 2011 entry - 140 places
1367 sat exam
143 = number of places originally offered
228= original cut off mark
226= final cut off mark
26 = number of offers after initial offers
31 = number of appeals
2 = number of successful appeals

So ideally in top 169 in rank order to get offered a place.
This year there were over 1600 applicants!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now