Shaun Fenton leaving Pates?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Naulakha

Shaun Fenton leaving Pates?

Post by Naulakha »

I hope this is complete nonsense, but I read on another forum that Shaun Fenton is leaving to become head of Reigate Grammar , an independent in Surrey.

my DC is due to start at Pates in September so I was shocked to read this. Had anyone heard anything similar, or did the poster just have her wires crossed?
Naulakha

Re: Shaun Fenton leaving Pates?

Post by Naulakha »

well, apparently the governors of Reigate Grammar have announced they have appointed Shaun Fenton, so it looks like this is true. I'm very sad he won't be there when my DC joins-he seemed great at the open day.

It seems a big change in his philosophy as he is closely involved with the grammar schools heads association which I think is for state grammars only.
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

I feel the same as you.

Which forum did you read it on?
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

It was mumsnet - secondary education section.

I remember him at the post 11+ results open morning in October saying with a wry smile that fewer children from private schools had passed this year, and with his work with the Sutton trust I'm surprised he has jumped ship to the private sector.

I wonder what prompted his decision?
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Money?
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Have just received an e mail from Pates confirming that Shaun Fenton is leaving at the end of the academic year to go to Reigate Grammar. He was going to announce it on Monday but unfortunately the news was spreading on the internet.

I have been a Pate's parent for six years now and it has been known that he has applied previously for headships at two local independent schools, so the news is not that surprising.

There are at least two excellent deputy heads who would make wonderful replacements, so I am hoping that an internal candidate gets the job.
muminTewkes

Post by muminTewkes »

Yes,It would seem this is indeed true.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

I narrowly escaped going to Reigate Grammar - I was offered but chose another local grammar instead, back in the days that it was a state school. Who knows, maybe they want to move back to the state sector (as did a private in Bristol) but sponsored by their foundation?
Capers
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

It is true, we had an e-mail a couple of hours ago from the man himself :D

My DD is not that worried about it but looked a bit concerned when we said that the new head might make them do their ties properly and unroll their skirts!!! :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I don't know the man but it was predictable as he has moved schools on a regular basis.

In my experience, internal appointments of a HT are not always a good idea. You need a 'new vision' to keep a good school great.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now