what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tancred

what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Post by tancred »

Hi everyone. Am keenly anticipating this week. My question is: what do you do if they tell you you're on the waiting list? My dd did two consortium exams. 2nd choice exam went OK, as did the interview. 1st choice exam went better, but not the interview, I think. So if we were to get an offer from the 2nd choice but not the 1st, what is the best thing to do? 1st choice say that they don't tell you where you are on the waiting list - is that right? Do you sit around until March 7th and hope to get an offer? Would the 2nd choice keep the offer open until then? Someone told me that you get your Head to ring and argue the case - is that right?? Any advice appreciated!
Rimsky

Re: what do you do if you're 'on the waiting list'?

Post by Rimsky »

I have known lots of people get offers from the waitlist however I think it is very different from year to year. The schools definitely over offer. I don't think that the schools tell you where you are on the list but maybe they would if you are high up. Your head should definitely be lobbying on your behalf and you also need to make sure they are aware how much you like the school.

It is a horrible waiting game, one friend received the phonecall of the offer at 11am just before that 12pm deadline. Another got the offer in July after she had already organised uniform etc for other school and her daughter had been on the inductions etc and they decided to turn it down which I presume made another family very happy!

You say first choice exam went well so all should be fine... best of luck
Last edited by Rimsky on Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Hi. I hope it will help if I tell you what happened to my DD last year. We had one offer and two waiting list places. We immediately phoned one school, SHHS, as we were very keen and were told that there were only 20 places on the waiting list and they usually offered all. We did get an offer within three days but at this stage we had decided to go with our first offer. We were also wait listed for G&L. Our school phoned to find out about another girl in the year and G&L told our Head that my DD was in the middle section of the waiting list but at the top of this section. Our Head felt that if we wanted her to lobby on our behalf we might be successful. We decided not to go ahead with this. I think this is the time that the school really push for you as long as you take that place!
My only advice would be not to jump into the offer school if you are on a waiting list for a school you and your DD want more. Let the school know how keen you are and keep calling! We took the firm offer of slightly less academic school and think this was a mistake in hindsight. I wanted to get off the crazy roundabout of 11+ and just accept something so we could all get a good nights sleep - however am not sure if that was the best thing to do!
Good luck to all of you. I remember last year so clearly and how anxious I got even though I had promised myself I wouldn't! Have to do it all again next year with DD2! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Rimsky

Post by Rimsky »

Thanks for that post. It is definitely helpful as what I didn't mention in my last post is that we have already been waitlisted for one school and I am kind of resigned to the idea we will be waitlisted for our top choice on Friday. This is my second time around this crazy 11+ thing and I have to say it is even worse second time around as you know what's to come coupled with a super academic elder daughter who sailed through it...

You do know that if you have been waitlisted for a school you can always move your DD if you are not happy. There is a lot of movement at all these schools!
Brrrrrmum

Post by Brrrrrmum »

Thanks Rimsky.. we are looking at the moment!
I think my belief at the time was that if my DD was on the waiting list would she be able to keep up academically. However I can see now that the exams on one day are just a snapshot on that particular day. I also have heard since that they only wait list people that have reached the academic level that they require - it is just that a lot of kids do reach these levels and above!
questions

Post by questions »

We are on one waiting list and haven't heard yet from 2nd school. I really hope we won't need to get involved in this lobbying business as I doubt headteacher of DS' state school would be willing to do this! I'm guessing it's a totally different ball game as this is a waiting list for a sponsored award, probably not too many people turn them down...
questions

Post by questions »

Bumping this in the hope that someone can share some useful experience.

That headteachers call up and advocate on behalf of their students for places sounds like a hidden part of the admissions process that no-one tells you about! Do state school heads do this too? I doubt ours knows my DS from all the other kids so I feel daunted about asking them to do this.

Does anyone think this is relevant when it is a bursary place rather than a fee paying one, or are 'the rules' different in this situation?

I thought all the stress would be over when the exams and interviews were done - how wrong could I be!
mad?

Post by mad? »

I suspect that the heads calling the school thing might be restricted to prep schools. Our head would never have done it, nor we he have known what an earth to say if he did! Good luck :D
mad?
questions

Post by questions »

Thanks for your reply mad... Feels like we have enough things weighted against us because DS is at an ordinary bog standard school, will just add this to the list :(
questions

Post by questions »

Oh that sounded more miserable than it was meant to - thanks for your comment and for your good luck wishes :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now