1st March - what are we told & possibility of later places?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Kate West

1st March - what are we told & possibility of later places?

Post by Kate West »

My first time with all this just wondering what the e-mail will actually tell us on 1st March? Assume will be what school place has been allocated but do we get the actual 11+ score as well and in what format - do they give us a ranking in the county or just the raw scores? Also have heard from various people that last year quite a few kids were offered places later on as people either had moved or did not take up places offered - so would it be possible that my DD might be offered a place at local comp but then might get a place at grammar late on? Would we have to contact grammars directly for info on this? Thanks all info really appreciated think I am more nervous about 1st March than my DD!!!!! :?
First-timer

Re: 1st March - what are we told & possibility of later plac

Post by First-timer »

Hi Kate,

My experience was a couple of years ago. I come under the auspices of Essex and I believe that Southend and residents of other counties do things slightly differently.

I logged on to the Essex LEA website at midnight and was able to discover which school DS had been allocated. The information on the screen simply lists the schools you entered on your CAF. Next to each school is either "allocated" or "not allocated". We were lucky enough to get our first choice but I think if you are allocated a lower choice, there may be an indication that you have been placed on the waiting list of your higher choice. An email from the LEA was supposed to be sent (presumably with the same information) but this never arrived. When DS went to school that day, his teacher asked the children which schools they were going to. The class teacher did not know in advance. Some DC still did not know which school they had been allocated at that point because they had not checked online or had made postal applications. Later that evening I received an email from the CSSE. This detailed DS's raw score for each subject and an overall standardised score. It also included a ranked position for each of the CSSE schools applied for.

If your DC has missed out on a particular GS, it's worth keeping an eye on the forum as parents post their DC's scores. You may be able to work out if your DC has a chance from the waiting list. From memory, the CSSE office is closed for a day or two after allocation day and so this information can be useful.

In the days that followed, I received a pack from the school and a pack from the LEA. The school asked for an indication of whether the place would be accepted. No positive action was required from the LEA but the pack did contain information about the appeals process if necessary.

The waiting lists do move a bit over time. Some places will be rejected in favour of indies. I'm sure someone will come along who can tell you whether it's the CSSE or the LEA who administer the lists. Hopefully it won't come to that. Places can be awarded even after Y7 has started so it can be a long, stressful process.

Good luck!
moved

Post by moved »

I assume that you not in the Essex LEA as you have specified an email being sent. Your email will give you the name of the school your DD has been allocated. Mine looked like this:

Name of pupil: DC
Date of birth: Day Month Year

I am pleased to confirm that it has been possible to agree to your request that your child be admitted to Chelmsford County High School for Girls

A pack of admissions information has been posted to your home address, which includes:

the reasons why your child has been refused a place at any other school you may have indicated as a preference;
a form to be completed to confirm whether or not you wish to accept the place offered;
information about waiting lists (if you have been offered a place at a school that was not your first choice);
information about the admission appeals process.
You can accept or reject this offer online at:
Acceptance Form

Pupil Access Team
Department of Children & Learning
Southend on Sea Borough Council

Later in the day, I received this from the CSSE:

Parent or Guardian of :
Name
Address
Southend On Sea

02 Mar 2009

Dear Parent or Guardian,

Consortium of Selective Schools in Essex 11+ Selection Test
Re : Name Candidate No: xx/***

Now that you have received the outcome of your secondary school applications from your Local Authority we are in a position to inform you of your child’s test results.

Your child’s raw scores in the three tests are as follows:
English Score xx/50
Mathematics score xx/40
Verbal Reasoning Score xx/80
These three results are adjusted to take account of any variations in the difficulty of different papers each year and combined to produce your child's overall, standardised, weighted score of: xx

This score is used to determine your child's place on each of the "offer lists" of your chosen school. The CSSE Office has supplied the relevant Local Authority with the position of your child on each of the offer lists of the schools for which you expressed a preference. This information is shown in the table below and we also include the total number of selective applicants for each of your chosen schools.

Chelmsford County High School | Total Applicants 731 | Your Ranked Position xx | Applicants on your ranked list 731 |
Colchester County High School | Total Applicants 509 | Your Ranked Position xx | Applicants on your ranked list 509 |
Southend High School for Girls * | Total Applicants 709 | Your Ranked Position xx | Applicants on your ranked list 408 |
St Bernards High School & Arts College | Total Applicants 155 | Your Ranked Position xx | Applicants on your ranked list 155 |
Westcliff High School for Girls * | Total Applicants 805 | Your Ranked Position xx | Applicants on your ranked list 348 |
Kate West

Post by Kate West »

Thanks guys - we are Essex LEA but DD wants to go to SHSG so have put them and WHSG as 2nd choice on selection form. I assumed we would be told by e-mail but looks like might be better logging on to Essex website as early as possible. Scary!!!!
feeringmum

Post by feeringmum »

I seem to have misplaced all the paperwork on this, so would someone be able to tell me the website address of the Essex LEA. I've had a look on the internet, but not too sure how to go about finding the right site. I don't want to be messing about at midnight for a couple of hours unnecessarily!! I can remember DS's candidate number.
ahap

Post by ahap »

feeringmum,

This is the website for the Essex LEA.

https://emsonline.essexcc.gov.uk/admit_transfer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
feeringmum

Post by feeringmum »

Thank you, I'll bookmark it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now