Gove to ban term-time holidays

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Gove to ban term-time holidays

Post by Guest55 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... anned.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"He is to abolish the right of head teachers to “authorise absence” from the classroom, which has been used to let families take term-time breaks, and will warn them they face fines for their children not being at school.

The move, to be announced by the end of the month, will form a key part of a Government review into school discipline and attendance carried out by Charlie Taylor, a teacher and behaviour expert."
Amber

Re: Gove to ban term-time holidays

Post by Amber »

A more useful piece of legislation, as legislation seems to be in fashion, might have been to prevent travel companies from hiking up prices stratospherically in school holidays, thus ensuring that it is economically unviable for many families to travel then. Until the fines imposed outweigh the financial incentives to avoid school holidays, I would suggest this is a(nother) total waste of time and another in a long line of politically motivated initiatives designed to keep up the appearance of 'action' on 'failing' schools; 'raising standards'; removing autonomy from Head Teachers while loudly claiming to do the opposite; in short, avoiding the real issues and declining to spend any money.
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Personally, I don't think school should be compulsory at all. Of course, steps need to be taken to ensure children who frequently don't turn up at school are not "at risk" but I am the parent and if I want DC to take a day of school then it's my right to do so. My kids learn more out of school than in it anyway and I see it purely as a childcare facility.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:I see it purely as a childcare facility.
Well for someone who sees it as a childcare facility, you sure as heck pay through the nose for it :lol:

However I agree that draconian measures shouldn't be brought in for this - I often have to take my children out - because our nearest family lives 450 miles away - so if we are invited to a wedding or other celebration, it can't just be done in a day. We've always been given permission for this, but I've often thought I could easily say we're off to Glasgow for a wedding/funeral/21st birthday, and actually gone to Majorca for a week. Ovbiously though the suntan would give it away :lol:
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

If term holidays are banned, then how many children will become ill for a week or so... . Also, the tourist industry won't be to happy if their income is reduced. Also, if their term time income is reduced, then school holiday prices will increase further to make up the difference.

Years ago, I spoke to someone who owned a travel company. He said that the only way to make money was to have higher peak prices. Having a more average price didn't work.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh dear I'd better get my forms for this year in fast.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Waiting_For_Godot wrote:Personally, I don't think school should be compulsory at all. Of course, steps need to be taken to ensure children who frequently don't turn up at school are not "at risk" but I am the parent and if I want DC to take a day of school then it's my right to do so.
YIPPEE FOR WFG!!!

I haven't seen so much sense expressed in so few words for ages !!! Hurrah!!
Loopy
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Loopyloulou wrote: I haven't seen so much sense expressed in so few words for ages !!! Hurrah!!
Is that from me, or in general? :oops:

And LFH, I do pay a lot for it but nursery fees in London can top £3k per month in some areas so maybe I'm getting a bargain?! :lol:
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Looking for help wrote:However I agree that draconian measures shouldn't be brought in for this - I often have to take my children out - because our nearest family lives 450 miles away - so if we are invited to a wedding or other celebration, it can't just be done in a day. We've always been given permission for this, but I've often thought I could easily say we're off to Glasgow for a wedding/funeral/21st birthday, and actually gone to Majorca for a week. Ovbiously though the suntan would give it away :lol:
LFH you mean to say you don't get a suntan when you visit Glasgow! :lol: :wink:

IMO I think the official decision as to whether a child should be allowed to take a few days away from school should rest with the Head. Of course I, as the parent, will make the final decision.
mystery

Post by mystery »

My children's reading and numeracy improves in the holidays. If we had to take all our proper holidays during the school holidays, they would have less holiday time to learn, and it would be worse for their "schooling"! Starting reception was definitely a backwards step for one of mine as she was then too tired to read when she got home and there was NO reading at school. Leaving it at the discretion of the head seems good enough to me, with the 10 day max rule there currently is. I think Gove needs to understand it depends on the parents and the school whether term-time holidays are a good thing or a bad thing!!