Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
westkent

Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Post by westkent »

I have heard that Cranbrook are about to announce that they are changing their admission age to 11.

Could that be true? Nothing on their website but have heard it from a couple of sources now.

Wishful thinking or fact? Anyone know?

I apologise if I get hopes up and we find its all nonsense!
neurotic kent mum

Re: Cranbrook taking admissions at 11?

Post by neurotic kent mum »

That would be absolutely brilliant. I just hate the current system. But the independent schools around will be devastated!
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

neurotic kent mum wrote:That would be absolutely brilliant. I just hate the current system. But the independent schools around will be devastated!

Brilliant if you have a child not already in Year 6, but what about us with children currently in Year 6 and Year 7 what are we going to do all of u sudden, send our children to Angley?

Don't they have to consult public/parents who have children in local schools?

Shouldn't it be phased in if that's what they are planning?
westkent

Post by westkent »

There is a new head coming from Reading School. He is not in post yet so it seems odd to change things dramatically before he arrives.

Agree that one would expect a consultation period.
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Have to admit to knowing very little about Cranbrook as we are way out of catchment for day places but one of the parents at ds' school was talking about this rumour yesterday ...she has dc's there with another to hopefully go and said that she had been told that it would be unlikely to happen before september 2014...if at all.
scaredkentmum

Post by scaredkentmum »

Wow we are right in catchment and I have not heard that. What on earth will happen to Dulwich Prep, St Ronans and so on? Do Cranbrook have room for another 2 years of children? I am not completely familiar with their site but there are a lot of playing fields, so perhaps they are planning to build something new.

Agree with the others that they would need a consultation period, plus time to build so perhaps it wont affect us for a few years - I have another child in Year 3 currently perhaps it will impact on him...........
zvrk

Post by zvrk »

I have heard from few more people about it, I have sent an email to school.
They should write something on their website or try to stop rumours like that.
Hope we don't miss on opportunity to try because we have just missed 11+ (which we didn't take due to distances involved, and with summer born son) and were hoping local grammar would be perfect. :(
laurash

Post by laurash »

I'm a parent at Cranbrook and I have never heard of this. Interesting though because it would certainly set the cat amongst the pigeons and give local children who can't afford prep schools MUCH more of a chance to get in. Which is only fair. Cranbrook pupils should sit the 11+ .
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Parents have now received letters confirming admission from 11 years in 2014. Sad for those of us entering 2013 as means those younger will be installed first and therefore more confident in surroundings and sadly I suspect educational concentration will be on the year below - they will need them to achieve highly!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I suspect that in 2014 and 2015 there will be year 7 and a year 9 intake
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now