Should our grammars have catchment areas?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Should our grammars have catchment areas?

Post by stroudydad »

This may be an unpopular view but I am a firm believer that our grammars should select from a catchment area, and just wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on this subject?
Lynne

Re: Should our grammars have catchment areas?

Post by Lynne »

I think there should be a limit to how far you live from said grammar. It does seem unfair that you can live out of the county and still be able to go to the school. Maybe there should be catchment areas, as a lot of grammars are in the middle of council estates and being as grammars were set up with the intention of giving children from a less fortunate background a chance of having a decent education, they would go back to what they were intended for!
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

So what happens to thos children who do not have grammar school in "their" area?
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

faitaccompli wrote:So what happens to thos children who do not have grammar school in "their" area?
... and their catchment comprehensive is in special measures!
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

This is currently being debated in the Surrey section

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=23491" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orson

Post by Orson »

There should definitely be a catchment area. Children going to Pate's from Bristol and Worcester, to Stroud from Swindon etc. How's that right? Grammars don't mind, of course. The wider they can throw their nets, the larger the pool they can choose from and the higher the calibre of the students they will select. Don't hold your breath if you're hoping for change.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

If you have catchments it will not 'solve the problem' - it will merely be the same as the best non selective schools and push up the house prices close to the school, thereby making sure that fewer still less well off people can attend.
suzanne

Post by suzanne »

Last edited by suzanne on Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It works fairly well in Bucks - one qualifcation score across all GS and you can choose whichever schools you want on your CAF. However places are allocated on distance from the school.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

I live in Worcestershire, only just, the county border is one mile away, our postal address is Gloucestershire, and I must say that I am so glad that there is no catchment area for Pates as my two DC went there and we have no Grammar Schools in Worcestershire.

I see no valid reason for catchment areas, the children who get in to the Grammars deserve the places, my two had to work hard to get there and work hard during their education, it shouldn't matter where they live. We take them every day, and that is our responsibility, and a commitment we made to them.

If people who live closer wish their children to go to a Grammar, they have the option to sit them for the test, just as we did, I really can't understand why anyone should have an advantage because of their address.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now