Science GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Science GCSE

Post by Looking for help »

We just got the blurb home yesterday about our son's options. Science appears to still be fairly modular - Science at the end of year 10, Additional Science and Triple award at the end of Year 11 - am I to believe this or will it change to be all terminal exams at the end of the two years ?
daughter

Re: Science GCSE

Post by daughter »

Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong - but what you describe is not modular - as you do the entire "Science" GCSE at the end of year 10 , the entire Additional Science at the end of year 11 ... with a further component to make it into the triple rather than double award.
The syllabus is cumulative so you need to know all of it at each exam compared with modules that only test a limited part of the syllabus at each sitting/exam. There is also a practical element (ISA) for each of the 3 sciences that are included in both Science and Additional Science.

My 2 oldest DD's did exactly as I have described above (AQA). DS is due to do IGCSE - different again!
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

What year is he in? My understanding is that the new linear exams for science (ie taken at the end of year 11) are being implemented for current year 9's and below...............as we speak. Who knows what it will be in a years time! :roll:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Thank you daughter - so although there are exams at the end of year 10 its not a module, it's the whole of science, so terminal at the end of the syllabus for that part.. our course is AQA as well, and he's in year 9, and beginning the work now for exams at the end of year 10 and 11.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now