Ipswich High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
11pluscountdown

Ipswich High School for Girls

Post by 11pluscountdown »

Hi all

Can anyone tell me how many academic scholarships are awarded at Ipswich High School for Girls and to whome please? I wondered if they give them out to existing pupils aswell as outside girls sitting the entrance exam.

Thank you
toolate

Re: Ipswich High School for Girls

Post by toolate »

I have a DD at Ipswich High so I have done a little digging on this for you.

What I have found out is that they don't disclose how many scholarships are given as they do change year on year at the Head’s discretion, and on the ability of candidates. However, they are extremely limited and awarded only to those girls who achieve exceptionally high academic results in the entrance exam. They are awarded to external and internal candidates.

My DD is only is only in the Junior School so I don't have any first hand experience of this yet. I do know that the Junior school years are seeming to fill up, as people move their DDs in advance of the 11+. I think the strong results, and dare I say it, reasonable (for the private sector) fees attract girls from quite a broad area. Plus tons of buses of course.

We have been happy so far if you are considering it.
11pluscountdown

Post by 11pluscountdown »

Thank you.

I was just interested as I know of a few girls who sat the exam and have been offered places.

We havnt been informed of a scholarship so would assume that my DD didnt get one. Would presume that we woold have known by now if she had.

Its a beautiful school but we are keeping our options open obivously!
Only a week to go!

Thank you again for the reply
toolate

Post by toolate »

On reflection, I would think it much more likely that external candidates be awarded scholarships as existing parents are not going through any of the preparation for 11+.

My understanding is that girls at the school have to take the exams, but parents have been warned well in advance if there is an issue. So there is no real stress and I assume quite little preparation for the girls at the Junior school, therefore giving external candidates a distinct advantage.

I have thought this through and am going to heavily warn my daughter off any scholarship ambitions as I don't want to go thro' the 11+ hassle of preparing her for the school she is already at! Selfish of me perhaps.

Good luck with your results. I can't imagine how stressful is must be.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

edit - duplicate post
Last edited by Minesatea on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Minesatea wrote:
On reflection, I would think it much more likely that external candidates be awarded scholarships as existing parents are not going through any of the preparation for 11+.

I'm not entirely sure about that. My DD (year 7 Colchester CHS) knows a few girls there who came from Ipswich High School for girls junior department so some are 11 plus prepared - whether this is at the school or not I don't know.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Minesatea wrote:

I'm not entirely sure about that. My DD (year 7 Colchester CHS) has a few girls there who came from Ipswich High School for girls junior department.

I expect some parents had that as a plan all along - private prep then state GS
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now