Watford Grammar v Parmiters

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
babycakes

Watford Grammar v Parmiters

Post by babycakes »

Which school is better - Watford Grammar or Parmiters according to league tables?
maddad

Re: Watford Grammar v Parmiters

Post by maddad »

Very little in it according to this table.

Certainly not enough difference to override other factors (proximity, personal preference, etc.)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

The only column that shows a huge difference is the EBacc column.
DS goes to Parmiter's and my only disappointment comes from the fact that they aren't taught Latin. DS, however, isn't bothered by this at all.
I agree that you need to ignore the good results of these 2 schools and look at other factors.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

dd really wanted to do Latin which DAO don't do and that was a big disappointment for us as well. It is a real shame that the semi selective schools don't offer this like their indy counterparts. HBS do it but I think they are the only state who does. We spent a very happy hour in the Latin department at open day at HBS. DG
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

Latymer does Latin too, from year 8 I think.
curlyching

Post by curlyching »

Yep. You can choose from a second Modern Foreign language or Latin in year 8 at Latymer.

(NB I loved Latin at school!)
C. J.

Post by C. J. »

WG and WB both do Latin. Taster lessons for all in year 7 (one period), then choose between Latin and a second modern foreign language in year 8. My only gripe has been (and still is), that at GCSE, you can't choose Latin as a language, so if you want to do it, you have to take it as one of the 'choices', while still taking your modern foreign which is compulsory.

A level is usually one of the 'shared' courses between the schools, but they're pretty close so my older DD didn't find it a problem getting to WB.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You lucky lucky people! I stand corrected. So DAO and Parmiters are in the minority. Dd's have to do two mfl's as well but my dd would have snapped up the chance to do Latin instead of the second one. Russian and Italian are offered atfer school and there is an option for after school Latin in Y9 but this will mean giving up a sport or an orchestra. DG
Wanner

Post by Wanner »

Parmiter's do have a Year Y Latin club at lunch time, and we received a letter towards the end of Y7 offering it as after-school lessons from Y8, mentioning a textbook that would be used. No way my DS was going to be persuaded to do it on those terms, though! So it is there, perhaps not as an exam subject, but on offer - if you can persuade your DC to give up free time for it :roll:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS is doing too much after school as it is. I did wonder about him doing Latin after school but funnily enough he wasn't keen.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now