All boys/girls schools - your thoughts please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Stressed?Moi?

All boys/girls schools - your thoughts please

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

How does your child feel about being in an all boy/girl school. I'm just interested as my DD said that it was definately what she wants as she finds boys distracting (just you wait a few years!), whereas my friend's DD feels happier in a co-ed environment.

So, was this a consideration in your choice for them applying for a grammar school, or is it just a by-product of what they will (hopefully) end up with? Have any of them expressed a preference for co-ed when they may not end up in that environment and how do they feel about it. Just wondering.
DC17C

Re: All boys/girls schools - your thoughts please

Post by DC17C »

Both my DCs seem to like the idea of single sex schools. It did surprise me that DD was so keen on an all girls school as DD has a good mix of friends who are boys and girls. She started going to Scouts after having a brilliant time in Cubs and she has found it a real shock being with a lot of older boys so has changed to Guides and seems much happier. DS could probably do with a few more male influences around him as his Dad is no longer living with with us and contact with his dad is limited to holidays.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I think it depends very much on your child, and as DC has posted, what other males/female influences they have..our children have a good mix of both out of school and this was one of the reasons we liked marling/shs (although they are actually our closest secondary schools).
aargh

Post by aargh »

DD was definite about wanting co-ed so we are lucky she will be able to go to Pates. She did have numerous other reasons for liking Pates though.

DS is in a class with very few boys and a lot of his friends are girls. At parents evening though, his teacher said the girls swirl around him because he is calmer and more amenable than the other boys (plus being devilishly handsome and intelligent of course :lol: ) and does not differentiate between male and female friends. Goodness knows what we will get when he is in his teens.
He would do well at either. He did like Marling when we went for the open day but he was not basing anything on single gender or co-ed. I think he also likes the idea of being able to walk around the corner to school, whereas DD is quite happy to take the bus.

Actually DD, who did not like SHS said she might disguise herself as a boy and go to Marling. This highlighted this issue for us. DH and I were also far more impressed with Marling than SHS and were deeply frustrated because the single gender factor prevented our choosing it for DD.
willow_catkin

Post by willow_catkin »

Interesting posts. My DH is adament that DS should go to mixed as he went to single sex and with only a (much) older brotehr had limited female influence.

DD has lots of boy and girl friends and I do think she will thrive at mixed; however she loved SHS and likes the concept of it being next door to the boys so she gets the best of both worlds.

DS is a different kettle of fish - he is of the opinion that girls are a waste of space! I think he would do well at either to be honest as his sister is very close in age so he sees enough 'girl' stuff at home :)

Interestingly I liked SHS more than Marling but hard to put a finger on exactly why - probably becasue I was thinking of how each would suit my DCs
platypus

Post by platypus »

r
Last edited by platypus on Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

The original driver for my DD going for a grammar place was because she wanted to go to a school without boys in it! I explained that in Glos the only way that was going to happen was if she got a grammar place, so she was highly motivated... During Y6, the 'boy thing' became less of an issue - whatever had been bugging her was no longer a problem - but even though she managed (to our great astonishment, it has to be said) to score well enough for Pates, she decided she still wants to go to a single-sex school.

When the time comes, I suspect DS will not be interested in a single-sex school. Still, don't have to think about that one for a few more years!
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

DD in year 7 at SHS - always wanted girls only, actually refused to go and look at Pates because it is co-ed. DD found the boys in her class at primary school very disruptive and none of them particularly on her wave-length. She has no problem with boys in general and is good friends with the boy next door! She loves SHS and has found lovely friends. There are a particular group of girls who spend all breaktimes standing at 'the gap' between Marling and SHS flicking their hair and giggling for the benefit of the boys and I wonder if these girls would have been happier in co-ed schools. I suspect the boys are safer in their single sex school though!

We have no problem with single sex education. I dread to think what DD's recent science lessons on reproduction would have been like in a mixed school :D
aargh

Post by aargh »

Research shows that boys tend to do better in single gender schools. Theoretically this is because, in the absence of girls they concentrate on work rather than male mating behaviour.
This is basic male behaviour in many species. When alone, do work (e.g. find food or ways of providing for self and family) When with females, see how many females you can impress and mate with.

Anyone know whether anyone has done similar research for girls?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Which research is this aargh?

Research I've read said boys do better in mixed schools ...