St Albans Choral Scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Waiting_For_Godot

St Albans Choral Scholarship

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

Has anyone had a boy sit this on previous years and can you shed any light on the audition? I'm wondering if the audition has passed or if it is after the 11+ results are sent out. I'd like DS to sit for it if it's not too late.
new2me

Re: St Albans Choral Scholarship

Post by new2me »

My friend's DS has a choral scholarship. Very few boys audition, put off by the label 'choral', fewer than 5. This boy is an ex-chorister but he chose not to sign a choral piece, picking something from a musical instead. Last year the auditions were held on the same day as the classroom assessments.
Last edited by new2me on Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting_For_Godot

We've probably missed it then. :(

Thanks for the info!
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

You've definitely missed it - they audition on the same day that they go for the second round and you need to apply for it before Christmas. The standard is pretty high - I know of one Cathedral Chorister that didn't get one this year.
Waiting_For_Godot

Thanks for the info chapuza. DS is also a cathedral chorister, or was before we moved in December, but performs in public venues with professional artists too so I think he would have been a very strong candidate. Still, we're just pleased to have a place. :) I'm hoping boys of equal or better ability than the choral scholars will get equal performing opportunities.
onetogo

Post by onetogo »

Might still be worth a phone call to the school. I know of one choral scholarship offer from St A's that is going to be turned down on Monday & with your DS's background the school might be interested in hearing him sing. There's nothing to lose by asking.
chapuza

Post by chapuza »

He'll definitely get the chance to perform. But if he's very keen and has been a cathedral chorister elsewhere, the St Albans Cathedral Choir might well be interested in taking him too.
Waiting_For_Godot

chapuza wrote:He'll definitely get the chance to perform. But if he's very keen and has been a cathedral chorister elsewhere, the St Albans Cathedral Choir might well be interested in taking him too.
When we moved in December we opted against the choir as its timetable is very demanding. He sings at a lesser choir just to keep his singing ticking over now. I don't think the Abbey would be keen on taking an 11 year old eventhough he is experienced. Thanks for the suggestion though. :)