New Univ of Birmingham School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KenR

New Univ of Birmingham School

Post by KenR »

B/Ham parents might be interested about the new University of Birmingham Secondary School and 6th Form which is planned to open for year 7s in 2014

http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/community/u ... index.aspx

150 intake each year
The University of Birmingham School will be a mixed ability, co-educational, state school, admitting pupils regardless of religious affiliation, ability or disability, or social and financial background. There will be no entrance exams for admission to Year 7, and our aspiration is to serve pupils from across Birmingham.

The curriculum will focus on academic achievement and preparing pupils for entrance into selective universities. Pupils will be required to study a broad range of academic subjects, including including at least two science and/or technology subjects and a modern language at GCSE. Vocational qualifications will not be offered. There will be a high standard of teaching and facilities throughout, with a particular focus on ensuring excellence in science and mathematics. Teachers will be of the highest calibre, with significant experience in the classroom and with Master’s degrees or higher qualifications. The teachers will be skilled as leaders, mentors and trainers.
If you have a child who would be eligible to enter Year 7 in September 2014 or September 2015 (children in Years 3 and 4 during the 11/12 academic year), please consider logging your interest in the school via our on-line form for parents of children in Years 3 and 4. Collecting such expressions of interest is a key part of our application, without which we cannot proceed with this project. When you do this you can also provide other comments and sign up to receive updates from us as we proceed.

If you do not have a child in the relevant age groups but you would like to comment on the proposal or sign up for updates, please do so via a separate on-line form
marma

Re: New Univ of Birmingham School

Post by marma »

That school will certainly be oversubscribed! I wonder how they will select their pupils if taking from across Birmingham ?!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It may be difficult to recruit high calibre teachers - not sure I would take the risk.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

Sounds perfect for DS2 to attend in Sept 2014 :D

Can I apply now ? :lol:
BaccHus25

Post by BaccHus25 »

reeyah wrote:Sounds perfect for DS2 to attend in Sept 2014 :D

That makes 2 of us.

I think it will good school, because we only had 3 minutes interview at KES with JC. He said he should have been at this new school at the time of interview. Aww hewas putting his coat on while talking to us.
That tell me that KES would have had some input in to the school.

I hope this helps.
reeyah

Post by reeyah »

BaccHus25 wrote:

That makes 2 of us.

I think it will good school, because we only had 3 minutes interview at KES with JC. He said he should have been at this new school at the time of interview. Aww hewas putting his coat on while talking to us.

I hope this helps.
That also tells me JC should manage his time better :lol:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Guest55,
It may be difficult to recruit high calibre teachers - not sure I would take the risk
Not sure I agree with that, I know a number of very good teachers (my other half included) who are very interested in applying. The location is excellent - they are using the Winterbourne site.

There will however probably be a higher proportion of heavily supervised trainee teachers as it will be work closely with and leverage the Univ of B/Ham Education Dept.

Hi BaccHus25,
That tells me that KES would have had some input in to the school.
Don't think so, word on the street is that KES and the KE foundation are not very happy about the new school - that think is will impact KES and KEHS applications.

Marma is quite correct, selection is going to be an issue. Presumably good news for those living in the leafy parts of Edgbaston - In the absence of any form of entrance exam I would have throught they will have to resort to distance from the school
BaccHus25

Post by BaccHus25 »

reeyah wrote:
BaccHus25 wrote:

That makes 2 of us.

I hope this helps.

JC spend all morning at my work place and it was kind of wasted morning and I don't think he had any choice of not being there. So in JC's defence it was understandable..
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

reeyah wrote:
BaccHus25 wrote:

That makes 2 of us.

I hope this helps.

Ho ho - you need watch John Cleese in Clockwise.... great time management ! Best bit is in the KES Big School at the end.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Promised myself would I would not post on here until tomorrow afternoon, but can't resist this one. I think it is fantastic news. There really is a need for this school in the area. I will certainly be pushing local parents to support it. UofB pgce dept has very good reputation and doubt recruitment would be risky in such an area.

I wouldn't suggest for a second that nice areas should mean nice schools and less affluent districts get the opposite. But I have always been dumbfounded by the bad deal we get in terms of schools in this area. Ok,Harborne primary is a great school but how many get in there? Secondaries are rubbish and there are not many to choose from either. Although I love living here, I often regretted paying all that money for a house without decent prospects at secondary level. The big gardens are great when they are young, but where are we going to send them to school if we don't get a grammar place?

Should admit, the name is a little bizarre :lol: hope they change that!
UmSusu