12+ update after disappointing 11+

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KT36

12+ update after disappointing 11+

Post by KT36 »

Hi Sally-Anne & Etienne

I'm not sure if you'll remember me from last year (S-A I'm sure you will but I've lost your email address so hope you pick this up). I've not been onto this website much since as it brought back too many memories...

DS had 114 in 11+ for 2011 entry (no tutor, such a mistake!!); very very strong academic evidence including a very favourable Ed Assessment. Took very strong academic evidence to appeal but our extenuating circumstances weren't the strongest... the whole experience was horrible... appeals are certainly not for the faint hearted! Anyway, appeal unsuccessful. DS was devastated and watched his best friends go to GS.

We picked ourselves up... and he entered the 12+. This time we had the benefit of knowing all the 11+ websites, and we got a 12+ tutor (only 8 or 9 lessons, but it made the difference).... had his 12+ result this morning ..138, so he didn't just scrape through... he nailed it!! DS hasn't stopped smiling! He worked hard for the 12+ (have to admit he'd always fluked exams in juniors hence he probably didn't try as hard for 11+).

DS has been doing very well in his current school and is getting all A's in maths & science, and the work on the 12+ has helped pick his English up from C to A/B. Failing the 11+ and then doing the 12+ made him realise the importance of revising, which has been a hard but incredibly valuable lesson.

We now have the wait to find out if there are any GS places and do we move him from a school he's settled in at... decisions!

I just wanted to update you both as you were so helpful last year.

a very happy and proud mum :)

ps... I still wonder how 2/3 appeal panel members got it so wrong... he clearly is GS material... a debate about the Bucks education system best left for another day!
Looking for help

Re: 12+ update after disappointing 11+

Post by Looking for help »

What fantastic news KT36 - congratulations, and yes it does beg the question, how can they be so wrong. I guess though you are all much stronger for your experience and evidence that one or two tests in VR are not absolute proof of GS ability.

Congratulations to you and your son :D
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

What a wonderful, heartwarming post - it'll give a lot of hope to parents and DCs alike :D

Many, many congratulations to you and your DC - a well deserved result :D x x x
Heartmum x x x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Huge congratulations, I am in the same position in Yorkshire, can you give any advice on prepparing for the 12+? Was you D tested in Maths/English and Science? Were you given an idea of what topics would be covered. GS here has been helpfull but vague, just that the papers will cover KS3 which is vast! He has a tutor and like you DS was never tutored for 11+ what a mistake. DS takes exam in May.

Well done for holding it together and your story is an inspiration...

Q
x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's brilliant - we had a similar experience so I hope you get that GS place.

My DC has never looked back and has done brilliantly. It is hard to move schools but the new Y8 blend in very well if the school 'normally' has Year 8 additions as they work hard to settle them in quickly.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi KT36
KT36 wrote:Hi Sally-Anne & Etienne

I'm not sure if you'll remember me from last year (S-A I'm sure you will but I've lost your email address so hope you pick this up).
The old nag never forgets. She may have to reach into the deepest recesses of her little grey cells occasionally though! :lol:
had his 12+ result this morning ..138, so he didn't just scrape through... he nailed it!!
Too right he nailed it! He can go to a GS with his head held very, very high indeed.
We now have the wait to find out if there are any GS places and do we move him from a school he's settled in at... decisions!
If you need to appeal for a place, you know where to find us ... :roll:

Many congratulations to him and to you!

S-A
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I endorse what everyone else has said. Heartmum encapsulates it all when she writes "What a wonderful, heartwarming post - it'll give a lot of hope to parents and DCs alike'.

We spend so much time dealing with those who've been bitterly disappointed by the 11+ and then by an unsuccessful appeal, and I try to console them with the thought that things often have a strange way of working out well in the longer term. Your case proves the point. The moral is 'Never give up!'.

Huge congratulations! :D
Etienne
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Thanks everyone. Yes Etienne we never gave up :) The whole process really upset DS but I honestly think he's stronger for it (although he probably won't admit that being a 11 year old boy!!). I'm still smiling although my head is a little sore this morning (not sure if that was celebrating the 12+ or the rugby :lol: )

S-A I'm sure you couldn't forget us... you helped so much :) Still wish we'd challenged the LEA reps comments concerning the Ed Ass (husband didn't want to as thought it may go against DS in future??). Anyway, on reflection, its been a hard year (emotionally) but I think DS is so much stronger for getting 138 in 12+ than us following that route. He needed the 138 confidence boost :)

Will certainly check in if we need help re appeal for specific GS. By the way, do you know the current year 7 in GS numbers? Not that I can do anything about it now, I just like looking at stats :)

Still smiling...
KT36

Post by KT36 »

Gogi, sorry I forgot to say that I don't know anything about the 12+ in your area sorry. I think the regions are all so different you'd be best off asking someone who has direct experience. Although I've become an expert (well almost :) ) on the Bucks 12+ and how it differs from the 11+... much of which students wouldn't know until they entered the exam hall. We found out about some slightly different question types and also a new type!

Good luck!
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Many thanks KT36, and enjoy your well deserved celebrations...I love a happy ending

Good luck
Q
x