Making the right decision

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Southendmum

Making the right decision

Post by Southendmum »

Hello all

With the dreaded date fast approaching and many people possibly having tough decisions to make next week, I was just wondering if there are any experienced parents on the forum that have ever turned down a grammar place for an indy....or vice versa... that have ever regretted their decision? I would really be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced this (the schools needn't be identified) and the reasoning behind the decision making.

Many thanks. :D
hermanmunster

Re: Making the right decision

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - not in your area but along with a lot of people I turned down an indie for a GS. Liked both schools though they were quite different. 7 years down the line I am relieved that I made the decision as we now have to contribute far more to university than I expected we would.
three

Post by three »

Hi Southendmum. Have a look at the following link where there is a discussion about GS versus Independent ones.
If it is any help my DD has been offered an academic scholarship but if she passes the 11+ she will go to Grammar School. Why? Both financial (uni fees very expensive now) and the fact that my son is at Grammar School and I don't think he would get a better education in many other places.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =6&t=22316" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best of luck!
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Southendmum wrote:Hello all

With the dreaded date fast approaching and many people possibly having tough decisions to make next week, I was just wondering if there are any experienced parents on the forum that have ever turned down a grammar place for an indy....or vice versa... that have ever regretted their decision? I would really be interested in hearing if anyone has experienced this (the schools needn't be identified) and the reasoning behind the decision making.

Many thanks. :D
My son was offered a place at an indie school but we turned this down in favour of our local grammar. I know my son would have done very well at the indie but, as far as we were concerned, the grammar offered a lot more.

I took my son to look round both schools and we came away thinking both were brilliant but the grammar offered a wider curriculum, sporting facilities were better and DS said he preferred the grammar school.

It was important for me to be equally positive about both schools because competition is extremely fierce for grammar places where I live.

I know that my son would have been happy whichever school he went to and I think this is important when thinking about which school is best. Not everyone is suited to a grammar education as I feel there is a lot more pressure on children academically. I say this from experience of already having a daughter at an indie school and seeing the difference in standard of work, expectations etc. As said, this is purely my own thoughts.

Also, there is the small matter of fees at an indie! As I have previously posted, this is a huge financial commitment and one which is ongoing. This does need to be considered if a grammar place were possibly turned down in favour of an indie.

You can start off at a grammar school (assuming a place is offered) and then move to an indie if things don't work out but virtually impossible to do it the other way round.

There is a lot to consider but this is also a good position to be in if these are your possible choices. :)
crgsmum

Post by crgsmum »

We turned down an indie place for CRGS because we felt CRGS was a better match for our DS for the following reasons:

1. He won an academic scholarship to the indie and wold have been very near the top of his year group. There is a lot of evidence that the higher the level of the DC at the top of a class the higher they all go. We wanted our DS to rise not be the benchmark.

2. While we could afford the fees we are not right up there with the helicopters, mansions etc. We are nonetheless, in a very fortunate finacial position and wanted him to get a real view of the world.

3. We didn't want him to go to school on Saturdays.

4. While CRGS had nothing like the facilities of the indie it definitely had a nicer feel and the atmosphere was just so much warmer and, no easy way to put it, the boys at CRGS were just "nicer". In fact at our son's prep it was noted that all the really lovely boys did seem to land up at CRGS.

On a final note to last posting though: in this year's year 9 at CRGS two boys came from the same indie. I don't know what their stories are but there are only 4 places available for the 13 plus and it is interesting that at least 2 of them went to privately educated boys thus demonstrating that it is possible to do it this way round.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

crgsmum wrote:
On a final note to last posting though: in this year's year 9 at CRGS two boys came from the same indie. I don't know what their stories are but there are only 4 places available for the 13 plus and it is interesting that at least 2 of them went to privately educated boys thus demonstrating that it is possible to do it this way round.
It is possible to do things this way round but CRGS are very unique in having a 13+. Most grammar schools do not offer the possibility of joining like this at a later stage.
aang

Post by aang »

We chose the indie over the grammar school option - maybe time will tell if it is the right or wrong decision. There were pros and cons to each option in terms of academic achievements, university prospects, extracurricular activities, pastoral care, breadth of character development, range of facilities, travel journeys, length of school day/terms etc... At the end of the day, each child is different as is every school.

My DS is happy with his school, even if does complain about getting up in the mornings and having to do his homework !
moved

Post by moved »

We chose grammar over indie for DS, my mother wanted the indie as it had a well known name! Not always sure it was the right decision as DS is a lazy tyke, but not having to worry about bursary forms each year has been good.

We also did this for DD and it was absolutely the right decision for her.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now