The randomness of when each region does the 11+

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aargh

The randomness of when each region does the 11+

Post by aargh »

Reading a wide variety of posts on the forum, what strikes me most is the wide variation of just when each region sets the exam.
I feel quite lucky now that in Gloucestershire the 11+ is October and the results are out before the CAF needs to be filled in.

I see that some people have had the exam but don't get the results until March!
I see that some people don't take the exam until December!

Can anyone list who does the 11+ when? Can anyone make any sense of why there is such variation?

Surely having your results before the CAT is a major advantage?
Surely it is better not to be 11+ing as term ends before christmas - always chaotic.
Last edited by aargh on Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike1880

Re: The randomness of when each region does the 11+

Post by mike1880 »

It's the last year it will happen. Next year, results have to available before people fill in the CAF.

Mike
mommasmaug

Post by mommasmaug »

Typical lol. We had to have requests in by October and sat 11+ the last two weekends in January. Results due on Thursday :shock: believe it or not this is better than when my sons were going to sit the 11+. Back then you had to forfeit your admission to your feeder school and were allocated a place wherever you could be fitted in. For that reason none of them took it. One of their friends had an hour and half and two buses travel because he didn't get into the boys grammar. At least DD was able to put in her requests.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

mike1880 wrote:It's the last year it will happen. Next year, results have to available before people fill in the CAF.

Mike
Not in Buckinghamshire. Somehow they are hanging on for another year!

ETA - I should also say that they sit it pretty early in Bucks (last week/Sept or first couple of weeks Oct), bu they still can't get the results out until after the CAF goes in, partly because of OOC people sitting it in the October half term. It will be much better when they have to do it before the CAF goes in - hopefully should save a lot of unecessary visits to school open evenings as well.
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

The Admissions Code has been watered down slightly in its final form and only says they have to take "all reasonable steps" to inform parents before 31st Oct. But you still have a couple of days to comment on the consultation, and after that if you think there's any doubt about whether they've taken ALL reasonable steps, when they publish the determined arrangements you could always prod the schools adjudicator.

Mike
Amber

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote:The Admissions Code has been watered down slightly in its final form and only says they have to take "all reasonable steps" to inform parents before 31st Oct. But you still have a couple of days to comment on the consultation, and after that if you think there's any doubt about whether they've taken ALL reasonable steps, when they publish the determined arrangements you could always prod the schools adjudicator.
Mike
That would be the new Chief Schools Adjudicator, then...the old one having resigned over, er, the new Schools Admissions Code. :lol: http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/201 ... ect-pupils" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Allegedly. IMHO just being answerable to someone like Gove would be a good enough reason to go.

Mike
mommasmaug

Post by mommasmaug »

Just had a look at Plymouths 11+ dates for 2012/2013 and they are still going to be set in January!