Year 8 spaces?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
anotherdad

Year 8 spaces?

Post by anotherdad »

How does one go about ascertaining the likelihood and number of Y8 spaces this September at Sir Henry Floyd and Aylesbury High schools? Is it as simple as asking the schools directly? Anecdotally I've heard that SHFGS is full and that there are limited spaces at AHS.
scary mum

Re: Year 8 spaces?

Post by scary mum »

I think somewhere they publish how many are in each year - maybe on the Bucks CC website, buried somewhere! Sally-Anne will know!

There is this http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/assets/conten ... 110616.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

which tells you the situation last year! I know there are figures for how many are registered in each year for each school because I saw them when DD transfered in year 10.
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

scary mum wrote:I think somewhere they publish how many are in each year - maybe on the Bucks CC website, buried somewhere! Sally-Anne will know!
The current numbers on roll for each year group are established through a census in January and are usually circulated to schools in April, but that won't be of much help to you, I'm afraid!

The best information we can offer at this stage is that both schools were "All Offered" by last September, so they were either just full or had spaces. I suggest you ring the schools and ask, although of course it won't guarantee anything because if there are more successful candidates living closer to the schools than you, you will not get a place. You can always appeal for a place though.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Thanks. We live one mile from one and 2.5 from the other, so pretty close to both.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Sally-Anne, where do you see that SHFGS is "All offered"? I'm sure I saw a table that showed that their current Y7 group (joined Sep 2011) had places offered under catchment, sibling and OOC to a distance of about 20 miles. Can I correctly deduce that if that is the case, that they filled all their places, turned some children away and are therefore "full", apart from in-year leavers? I have contacted both schools directly but understandably, they have referred me to BCC's Admissions department.

Living within 3 miles of both SHFGS and AHS one would think that if there are spaces, we would be pretty well up the list, but there are an awful lot of houses in the intervening estates....

I did wonder whether under the Academy system (where I believe that the school draws funding per capita?), if the school had the physical space to accommodate extra children or even an entirely extra class, the financial incentive is there to do so. Is this likely to be a factor or am I incorrect?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

anotherdad wrote:Sally-Anne, where do you see that SHFGS is "All offered"? I'm sure I saw a table that showed that their current Y7 group (joined Sep 2011) had places offered under catchment, sibling and OOC to a distance of about 20 miles.
The table originally showed 21+ miles on march 1st, and again in April.

By 1st September SHF was "All Offered". The final table was emailed to me by a Forum member who requested the information under FOI, and those numbers are the ones on our web page. For reasons best known to themselves, BCC does not publish the final profile on their website so we have to do it for them.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Many thanks Sally-Anne. Your help is appreciated.
mk123

Post by mk123 »

sent you a PM.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Just to add, places do occasionally crop up at various Bucks boys GSs, but they often aren’t widely publicised. DS is at DCGS and has had boys join in both Y8 and Y9 to replace boys who left the school.

One of the mods might be able to clarify how this works, but it seems to me that it might be worth reiterating your interest directly to the school on a fairly regular basis…
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now